Big Jon Electrics

I finally made the switch to electric downriggers. Found a good deal on a pair of Big Jons and have a question or two for you guys that have been using them. What is the purpose of the holes and the adjustment screw on the top of the motor? My first thought was that it was for lubrication but my first throughts have got me in trouble before so I thought I would ask. I've noticed that the newer motors have these holes covered by a sealant of some sort. Also, can I leave these outside on my boat uncovered. Second question...can I release (put them down) using a manual approach...i.e. loosen the nut and let them free spool down. It takes a while to set them down and I seem to get a big lag/loop in my line in front of the cannonball.

Any thoughts..all are appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

I have some older Cannon Electrics but never noticed the hole. I think you can loosen the clutch and let them down, but I ALWAYS power mine down. Power down and you will never have any doubts about tangles, resulting from lowering the ball too fast. My riggers were weathered when I bought the boat, so I'm sure they sat out uncovered. My boat is always garaged now. :) Oops you were talking BigJ ons LOL. Well the power down still applies.

I also have two Big Jon electrics. That hole is supposed to be sealed and the literature states do not lubricate. I have not left mine out in the weather. I always power them down. They seem to go down quick enough.

trust me u dont want to free spool them. if they get away from you as the are going down and the water is deeper than the amount of cable you have , just wave by by you will not get your hand in there to stop it. Also when setting them down thumb brake your reels or loosen up the drag so it wont pull so much line yhat should take out you slack in the line. As for the adjustment screw on the top DONT TOUCH it is factory set for the speed.

I just bought a set of capn' packs this year and love them. I have found it easiest to set my lead and then loosen the drag just enough so it won't pop the release. I hit the down button and when it gets to depth I usually tighten the drag and wind it up two or three cranks and she's loaded and ready to rock. I tried thumb spooling but I guess I just don't have the touch it was a little jerky. The setting the drag has proven very smooth and easy. Just don't forget to loosen it at the start and tighten it at the end :) I have had very solid hook sets and few missed fish.

Basillio,

The screw on top is the armature end play adjustment, do not turn it. The hole on the side is where they put a punch to stake the threads so it does not come loose.Our new motors do not have the side hole but do have the adjustment screw.Seal them up with some silicone, even if they do not leak an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

I set my rods just like Salmonquest does, if fish are deep you can usually get three riggers set and going down at a time. It helps keep the line tight to the release and you will get better hook ups.