Fished out of South Haven on Saturday morning. Went 11-12 with two knock offs (too slow-too bad). Took my brother-in-law out on his first salmon fishing trip. He had a blast and as far as he knows we do this good all of the time.

Set lines around 6:30 AM NW of pier head in 70ft of water. Trolled N – NW and S – SE all day between 70ft to 90ft of water.

First three fish came off of the downriggers set down to 40ft -50ft. (1 small king & 1 small coho) on SS Glow George spoons & a medium sized king off of a double pearl glow spin doctor with a blue bubble fly.

We had two medium sized kings off of #3 dipseys set down at 40ft with a mnt dew pearl glow spin doctor with a seaweed fly on one & a mnt dew/chrome NBK spin doctor with a yogurt orange crush fly on the other. Our largest king of the day came off of a #3 dipsey set down at 60ft with the mnt dew pearl glow spin doctor & seaweed fly just as we were pulling lines.

We had five fish (4 kings all medium to large & 1 medium coho) all of off 10 colors of ledcore running mnt dew/chrome NBK spin doctor with a yogurt NBK colored fly.

The SS Glow George spoons off of downriggers have worked very well for us first thing in the AM lately, but spin doctor/fly combos have produced best as the day wears on. On Saturday, mid-morning, we could not keep our lone leadcore rig in the water – it was smoking.

#1 dipseys with spoons have not produced any fish in the past few weeks and will likely get put up for a while. I’m sure that #1 dipseys would work fine running the spin doctor/fly combos, but we do not like to run spin doctors on both #1 & # 3 dipsey settings next to each other for fear of “making rope†out of our fishing lines.

Rumor has it that my fishing partner Rich is going to purchase us another leadcore rig when he gets his bonus check in a couple of weeks.