Port Sheldon 15 July WMFL

I fished the West Michigan Fishing League event out of Port Sheldon today with my partner Dv8oR, and my two sons. Things started off with a sacrifice to the fish gods while I was setting lines. ie....my cell phone :angry2:

We shut down in 65FOW and started setting lines on a West troll. I had two riggers, one full core with a 3oz Dive Bomb, and was setting another full core when the first full core went off. We got the board to off the line and got about 3 colors into it when it came unbuttoned. :rolleyes:

Our next hit came in about 80FOW on a rigger set to 60'. This one we boxed this one and continued West. The other riggers set at 85 went next. This fish shot up to the surface made a couple of leaps, and said "See you later"!

Chinook.jpg

Somewheres around 110FOW, we turned South. Then the wire diver went 3 times in a row, with a blue bubble spindoctor and the blue fly, on #2 with 200' of line out. We would no sooner get the line back in the water and it would go again.

Our last fish came on a rigger around 10:15 on an East troll in 85FOW, with the rigger set to 85'. This rod went off and I was on top of it. I reeled like a mad man and did not think anything was there. All of a sudden the rod about jerked out of my hand, and the fight was on. This was are 5 fish we boxed.

Chinook1.jpg

We had 6 to 10 other knock offs and nobody was home. I do not think it was the hooks causing this. After catching the last fish, I think the fish were hitting the spoons on the riggers and running foreward with them. This is why I had the slack in the line, and possibly why lead core appears slow right now.

A big Thanks to Northern King for donating the lures to the league.

I'll get my pictures up later but here's my report. We motored out to 60' and set lines. 2 riggers, 2 wire dipsey's, a full core and a half core. Just after the sun came up we had a triple, both riggers and a dipsey. First fish was on the holographic spoon as a free slider over a rigger 50' down. An impatient crew member decided to tighten the drag and winch him in. When the fish reached the back of the boat he went nuts and dove into a wire dipsey, down one fish and one spoon. The other rigger had gone off during this and after some confusion we boated a nice king on a watermelon 45' down. As a bonus he brought my full core in with him. In the meantime a dipsey had gone off 125' back w/ white Pro Troll/Blue Fly. The 2 rods changed hands a few times and while boating the first fish(and Core) we managed to tangle the net. After untangling we attempted to net this fish but due to equipment scattered all over the boat and a captain who didn't know how to run a net, the fish was "released". Did I mention that this same captain had removed the spare net from the boat the night before because it "marked up" his vinyl trim. We set back up, w/ a 7 color replacing the full core, and continued trolling west. We took a rip on a Chrome/Green SD/Green Fly 150' back on the other dipsey but managed to tangle the rod with a core rod and let that fish go so it would grow bigger. At 160' we turned south to head back inside and took another fish on the Blue Fly dipsey combo. Even managed to get it in the boat. Trolled back into 100' then turned and ran back over our original path. Took a double in 115' with both wire dipsey's going. I had changed out the flasher on the green fly, putting on an 11' White Pro Troll. The Blue fly was back 175' and the Green back 225 ft. We landed the fish on the Blue fly while I struggled with the "monster" on the Green. It ended up being a 6 lb. king and an untripped dipsey. We cycled back out to 150', turned in to 90' and worked back out to 125'. We were going to go deeper but the wind had changed and was straight out of the west. Instead we trolled north/northeast and then spun back southeast. Got in to 80' and decided to try bouncing bottom for lakers. Set one rigger on the bottom and pulled in the Green fly dipsey. It pulled extremely hard and I figured it hadn't tripped again. Ended up being a 5 lb. lake trout riding behind the boat. He just squeezed into the slot limit (because my girlfriend's mom's cousin once removed is 25% Native American):grin: for our 5th fish. It was 10:40 so we pulled lines and cruised in. Just wanted to thank Rich, Brian, and especially Northern King for a great outing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, thank you Northern King for sponsoring this event. Over 810 pounds of fish were weighed in, with all the other fish that were caught and not weighed in we had to be close to 1,000 pounds.

After lure distribution in the parking lot, we were on the water around 4:45am, cleared the pier heads and slowly made it out and set down in 75 FOW and set the first line around 5:10am. First indication that there was fish in the lake interested in our offerings didn't come until 6:30ish. Big rip on a dipsy, blue bubble blue fly, no one home by the time we got to the rod.

Fished around 80 FOW with a surface temp of 69, had the Depth Raider on a rigger set at 65 reading 66 degrees. Headed N/NW to find colder water. I kept the probe down and around 120 FOW it started to cool off, at 140 FOW I had 49 degrees on the probe. We fished from 140-180 FOW and started hitting fish.

Riggers set at 65 and 75. Slider on the 65 rigger hit, small king. Full core with a 4 oz snap weight, lemon ice ripped, REAL NICE King, until he ran into the wire diver......bye bye fish, did keep the spoon but had to retie the mono leader that was chewed up. Wire diver was next, 200 back, white dodger green fly, nice king. Full core with 2oz snap weight small king. Took the wire diver out because it was more hastle than it was worth and replaced it with a PowerPro diver, same rig, set at 175 popped a small king. 21" Laker on the Fullcore/2oz program. Around 10:30am white dodger-green fly combo picks up a 13 pound steelhead on the troll back in. Way to finish!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, thank you Northern King for sponsoring this event!

I had no place else to plug this in yet!!!

Yes! Thanks to everybody that made another good time possible!!

Especially Northern King and You Brian for making this happen!!!!

I could have actually filled your coffee cup, I don't think I drank but about another 2 cups on the water!!!

See Ya's in Muskegon!!!!! SOON!!!!!!!!

Peace!!!!!

Yes! Thanks to everybody that made another good time possible!!

Especially Northern King and You Brian for making this happen!!!!

Great event guys!!

We decided to start in the cooler deeper water at 120 fow. The dipsey/flasher/Green Fly set back 180' started screaming drag at 5:30, After taking about 150' of line out she broke the leader at the hook (I think this one was a serious contender for big fish) not to long after that the rigger set 60' down w/ a 6 color rig tied to it went just to come unbuttoned, ( 0 for 2 :mad: ) The swr on the other side also went in 150 fow (small king) We also got 2 fish on the rigger 70' down Monkey Puke. Blue fly/dipsey rig took 12 pound king. and swr rig with 2 Color set at 60' down took a nice fish. Ended the day

4 for 7.

my 12 year old son Jacob with his King.

IMG_3825_edited-1.jpg

Was a lot of fun!

Thanks for having us.

Ken.

I too would like to Thank Northern King lures & Brian for setting this tournament up!!! I and my crew had a GREAT time!! I am new to this site and I have to say "what a great bunch of folks".

RedEye