Derby Tournaments

I have nothing against the derbies. I think the organizers put a lot of hard work & their best judgement into them. (LOC, Pro Ams, Scotty, etc) I don't really like the rules that you can't fly solo but understand that they are because of fear some soloists don't have a clue. However I've seen party boats that don't have a clue either.

In bad weather, they shouldn't say "fish at your own risk" but rather "no fishing today." (Don't know how they'd get the word around though)

I do have a problem with the few bad apples that all fishing derbies & tournaments have though, and that's the guys that try to find a way around the rules. I think they should be prosecuted by the law for fraud not just banned from future derbies.

• 2 weeks later...

The G.O.S.D. up here is a luck thing(IMO).

You can do all your homework,be on the fish with the right presentations,wack fish all day long,and still not place in any of the top 10 weeklys.

Not uncommon to see the grand prize winner being taken by someone who has never fished on the big lake before :angry2::angry2::angry2:

I know guys that fish almost daily,that really know their stuff,and still never cash a cheque.

• 9 months later...

You're right there Skeiner on the GOSD. I've had customers place in the top ten that have never fished for sunfish before but all the more power to them. As for the tourneys I've never been that competitive to want to go in them. We ticked off the guide in BC when we got a fish on. The 3 of us just said, "You take it". By the time we'd decided the fish was in LOL. Salmon Slammin & Off the Wall yes. They're a fun thing.