What is your favorite fishing reel for salmon fishing and why

Hello,

Well I use to use dawia level wind fishing reels for salmon fishing but they kinda slowly just fell apart and was forced to buy some new gear last year. Well last year I went with Okuma Convectors and I seemed to really like them reels alot, but I did have a few problems with them and the tackle shop where I baught them was very nice to replace them with no hassles. I use the CV30D's for my rigger reels with 20# mono and the CV45D's for my dipsy rods and my full core rods. The only thing I wish they had on them better was a faster gear than they do now. But the big handles on them reels I like alot.

This is what they look like:

convect.jpg

Well what kind do you like better,

Caznik

Bought a couple of Penns back in my college days (back in the 70's) because I liked the maroon color and they matched the eyelet thread on my black graphite rods. Bought a few more through the 80's because the 1st ones held up very well. Then went to the bigger black Penns that held more and heavier line. About 4 years ago began running Penn 320 GTs with a 4.3:1 ratio, hold even more line and have a very smooth drag.

Actually I like Penn's because Pennsylvannia keeps NYS from sliding down to Virginia. ;):)

Shimano Tekota LC. I wish i had 8 more. Great Drags and line counters. I also have trouble with one of my okuma magda reels with it sticking. Ive lost alot of fish with the magda reels as 5 color lead set ups. Least i think its the reel. I gotta blame it on somthin other than me.

My Daiwa Sealines handle my line counting chores best. I've used a couple of others and not had great success with them. Those Sealines are smooth and robust. I'll be adding a couple more of them.

Of my whole bunch of reels, I've got 5 different reels from 5 different companies. For my non-linecounters, I love my Penns! I also don't have anything bad to say about the non-linecounting Daiwa Sealines I use. The vast majority of the reels in use on my boat are Daiwa and Penn.

Maybe down the road I'll try to get my hands on some of those Tekota reels to try out. But in the near future, my budget likes Penn and Daiwa reels.

I have 4 Shakespeare line counter reels (not sure of the model#). These are just cheep entry level reels that I bought to get started salmon fishing. I continualy have problems with the line counter buttons breaking and the clickers breaking. Even the windows on the line counters are broken. As far as performance they are used on my diver rods with power pro line. They seem to work well in that area and the drags are good. They are scheduled for replacement some time in the future. I also have two Okuma Convectors that I just got this year and they have been working great. However I have not yet hooked a big salmon on them yet to really test them. They worked will Walleye fishing. I have two Okuma (not sure of the model) that I have on my lead core rods. These are new and need to be tested. Then I have two Daiwa line counters. These have a 5:1 retreave on them. I think it is too high for Salmon, so I only half filled the spools with 20# mono and use them on my down riggers.

Diawa Sealine LCs. I only have 2 of them that I bought as combos for $60 each. I wish I would have purchased more. I do have some Penns, Okumas, and some Diawas without counters. They all function well, but I like the Sealine LCs best.

Diawa Sealine LCs. I only have 2 of them that I bought as combos for $60 each. I wish I would have purchased more. I do have some Penns, Okumas, and some Diawas without counters. They all function well, but I like the Sealine LCs best.

WOW, if I would have heard about Sealine LC's for $60/apiece, I would have bought a half dozen!

Good shoppin'! :D

• 1 year later...

My workhorse reels for many years have been Shimano GT 100's on Shimano TDR rods for mono set ups. Totally trouble free.

Diawa Accudepth and Accudepth Plus for wire, Okuma Classics for core, and I do have 2 of those Cabelas Wonders that I have set with PPro and slide divers. No issues so far.

Mike

For the money I don't think you can beat the convectors. We have 2 of the CV30D's filled with 1000 feet of wire and they worked flawlesly last season. Nice big handles, nice drags, they are just a very affordable, comfortable reel for catching Salmon..

My absolute favourite salmon reels is Daiwa SG47LC, At the moment I have 22 of these reels, four Great lakes 47LC. two Daiwa AD47LC, three Shimano Tekota 600LC, three Shimano Tekota 800 and one Shimano Tekota 700.

I have tried Okuma several different models and experienced loads of probs.

I also used ABU Ambassadeur for a few seasons, lots of probs with the clicker stopped working, and even when working the sound was too low.

Tried some Shimanos think it was Triton and experiensed probs with the level wind function on several reels.

The SG47LC´s is the only reels Ive been unable to kill lol.

/Kjell

I have a bunch of the MA--DX in 20 30 and 45 series. I have never had a problem with them. I will add three of the 20s for a total of 12, for my walleye spread. I probably will not run more than 10, but it's nice to have an extra, to get back in the game, when something gets messed up.

I have a couple of Diawa GL47LCs. Never a problem over 10 yo.

I have 6 Penn 209s that I have had for over 15 yrs without a problem

I have one Penn #9 $2 Garage sale find. I replace clicker pawl last yr. This is a backup walleye reel.

I have an old Penn #49 just sitting on my mantle. A garage sale find.

I like the drags on the Penns #1 and the Diawas #2 The MA20DX reels are perfect for walleye. I may add MA15DX reels instead of the 20s this year.

I hope my wife doesn't see this post.:grin: I love all my stuff.

I have the 47lc's and 57lc's with a couple of older sealines. I also have an okuma that I won in a raffle. Not sure what model. I do like the diawa's. I want to run copper off my planer boards this year, and would love to buy the tekota's, but for the money I am having a hard time not buying the okuma convectors. I will keep collecting my returnables........the tekota's are sweet.

It cost me alot of money to outfit the boat with the tekota 600lc for mono, braid and wire, but i have never found a reel that feels as smooth. These are a salt water rated reel and everything is sealed and should last a hell of a long time. I have had some, what i thought were nice diawas, wear out in a short period of time and lose some nice fish before they were retired.

For copper and leadcore i run the Penn 330's which have been good so far.

• 1 month later...

The one that has a fish on it is always my favorite. It does not matter to me anymore how much I paid for my gearor what other people think of it as long as it works and has a fish on it it's my favorite one. It sucks just as bad to lose a fish on a 20 dollar pole as it does on a 400 dollar pole however it hurts much less to break a 20 dollar pole.