I want to start out by saying that the following report is true, I have tried to remember everything but it was a little crazy. I'll post our final tally first......get ready......

8-16:tease:

I know that our landing percentage was bad but it was a great morning of fishing.

I took my coworker Mike out with me this morning. He had never caught anything bigger than a bullhead and the only time he had been out on Lake Michigan was with me the morning my boat broke. We got to Snug Harbor around 4:45 and started getting ready. But the stern light on my boat wasn't working so we ran back to the gas station for another light bulb. Finally hit the big lake around 5:30 and started setting lines in 50 ft. Put a Kevorkian Stinger down on 1 rigger and a Moonshine Happee Meal on the other. We were hearing great reports from other boats already. I started setting a dipsey when the 1st rigger fired. I grabbed the rod, handed it to Mike and he reeled it right to the boat. I figured it was a little one. Turned out to be a 12-14 lb. angry king. He went berserk at the back of the boat and dove straight for the prop. 0/1

Reset that rod with another Kevorkian and set a braid dipsey with a Mountain Dew Spinnie and new Sqwuinchee Green Fly. Just got it in the water and the Moonshine rigger fired. That fish fought for 15 minutes and then also went nuts at the back of the boat. He dove under the boat and we managed to drag him back out and net him. Nice 15 lb. king. 1/2

I reset that rod and it immediately fired again. I fought a nice king to the back of the boat where he ran straight for a dipsey line that cut him off. 1/3

The sun was coming up by then so I reset that rod w/ a Stinger Mixed Veggie. As I got that set the first rod fired. Mike landed another nice king, 14 lbs. 2/4

Dipsey screamed line but didn't release. I fought the fish and dipsey for a while but it got off. 2/5

Reset that dipsey and a wire dipsey w/ Custom Flasher/Green Siggs Rigs fly Also set a full core w/ NBK. Then the Kevorkian rigger fired again. After a short battle he got off. 2/5

The wire dipsey started screaming line and 15 minutes later I landed a 12 lb. king. While I fought that the fullcore took a rip but we lost him trying to handle both fish, the boat, and the net. 3/7

We then proceeded to lose 1 fish on each rigger, and 2 more spoons. 3/9

After that we boated a nice 10 lb. king on the fullcore. 4/10

And lost one on the fullcore. 4/11

And boated one on a Mixed Veggie on the rigger. 5/12

We never set our 6th rod through all of this and rarely had more than 3 rods in the water at once. Looked at the clock and it was only 7:30!

What a blast!!

We heard other boats that had boxed their limit of kings and were heading in. We were still one short. We headed deeper to avoid the crowd and reset lines. By 8:00 am we finally had 6 rods in the water and sliders on the riggers. But the fishing slowed way down. We moved out deeper and found more fish in the 120-160 foot area. Around 10 am we took a 6 lb. king on the fullcore/NBK to fill our box. Started pulling everything high for steelies and landed and released 2 more kings, 1 on rigger w/ Moonshine Yellowtail and 1 on 3 color core with an Orangecicle. On our way back in we had a monster steelie take my new Northport Nailer w/ green/glow/red 50 ft. back on a slide diver. This fish put on a show before shaking free 15 ft. behind the boat. After that we pulled lines and headed in. What a great morning!

I've got some pictures that I'll try to post.

Sounds like a great morning paulywood. Is nice when the riggers are working. What kind of leads where you using on your riggers?

As far as landing percentage goes, since I switched to the vmc (or higher quality) hooks, it has gone way up.

We were fishing our riggers in the top 50' so I ran long leads, 40-60'. We lost fish every way possible, a lot of them due to tangles or break offs. The only fish that we just lost were ones that came out of the water. The one steelie jumped multiple times before it came off and we had 2 kings that jumped also. They were both hooked in the top 30'. I dropped my temp probe down later in the day and 50' down it showed 41 degrees. After that we kept everything above that.