Dead Battery

Member's,

Well I have never had this happen to be yet and allways wondered how everyone does this when they go put there boat in the water at the boat launch and find out there battery is dead. What is suppose to be the safest way to jump start your boat battery when yours go's dead on you.

A- Can you turn your boat around the dock and drive your truck down and jump it if your cables will reach.

B- Can you have another boater put there boat right beside yours without touching and jump start it. If you can will this hurt the other boaters that is all charged up charging system?

Well like I said it has never happen to me yet but maybe other member's like to know the same thing if it happened to you.

Thanks,

Cazzzzzzzz:confused:

I have done it both ways (helping others thankfully). Did not have a problem when done boat to boat as far as hurting the charging system.

On turning the boat around and charging from a vehicle, their may be a few issues to work out, such as: getting the boat in shallow enough may require raising the motor, then the water inlet may be out of the water so don't run the engine long in that position, and don't let the prop hit the vehicle; a second is getting the truck up close enough and not getting your feet wet.

In either case you have to be very careful not to let the cables drop in the water, I saw a guy do that once and blew his circuits.

I have had a dead battery on the water. If you have a kick you can start your kicker and run that for a short time and that will usually charge your battery enough to start your main motor. The other thing I do now is I had room for another battery so I put it in and hooked it to my on board charger and keep it maintained but It isn't used most the time. It can be hooked up in about 5 sec though.

I like to be on the safe side.

My dad and I keep a starter pack in our boat. We have jumped with the truck before but that was on the trailer. The other thing I've found is that a trickle charger wouldn't recharge it once it was dead unless the charger was on start mode and giving it a full blast of juice. Good luck with that. Is there anything more frustrating?

when I'm in the little boat I just switch the trolling motor battery with the starting battery and get her going.

On the big boat, I borrow a battery from Mark at the dock and get the boat started then hook my batteries back up and let the alternator charge them while fishing.

Otherwise I do believe they make a set of jumper cables that are 20+ foot long that work fine.

And like has been mentioned the jump packs are awsome. I should look into getting one of those.

Either way should NOT hurt the charging systems.

Either way should NOT hurt the charging systems.

For the extra anal I/O people, obviously just pull the plug on the alternator if you have any fears.

It is possible to do a little diode damage jumping cars/boats.......