Ashtabula June 24

We didn't do great but had a great time doing so. We started out trolling at 60 FOW going west to east with dipsy w/stinger spoons. Dipsey set @ 3.5 outside and 1.5 inside. My rigger was @45 FOW. Speed was 2.3-2.5. The fish were scattered everywhere. So we kept adjusting our depth deep as 180 to 80. We ended up with 7 walleye, 2 steelies, tons of whitebass and a few sheephead. The wind started out from the south changed from the east then northeast to back to east.

eye1.jpg

steelie1.jpg

Probably eyed you on Saturday Toxic. We saw a few boats inside of us and a little west. Heard you on the radio a couple times and thought about saying hello, but everytime we got hooked up. We fished a little deeper than you directly north of the stacks. Found a little pocket out there where we picked up 12 eyes and 3/4 on steelies, no trash.

Should have called. I am on 14 or 66. And yes I was around the stack area about 3-4 miles out. We thought about going out deeper but we were marking fish in that area so we tried it out. How deep were you at?

We fished the south lip of "the ditch" or the "trench" as we refer to it. Basically the 70 mark. We were on 14. There is a little dip in that depth where the 70 mark is closer to shore there than it is just about anywhere else along that section of shoreline ('Bula to PA line). We bounced from 70 into 68 back to 70 along a mile stretch that held fish.

Had a fantastic day on those marks last July 3 (per the log book). Banged 4 limits in 45 minutes there. Was crazy!

We fished the south lip of "the ditch" or the "trench" as we refer to it. Basically the 70 mark. We were on 14. There is a little dip in that depth where the 70 mark is closer to shore there than it is just about anywhere else along that section of shoreline ('Bula to PA line). We bounced from 70 into 68 back to 70 along a mile stretch that held fish.

Had a fantastic day on those marks last July 3 (per the log book). Banged 4 limits in 45 minutes there. Was crazy!

You wouldn't happened to have the GPS coordinates for this area do you. I looked on a map and the closest thing I could find for an area like that is close to Erie, Pa. Thanks in advance.

The "ditch" or the "trench" is what we refer to as any water deeper than 69. In PA waters, there are actuall two fingers that extend from Ohio's deep waters, the first trench and the second. In between the two is a big hump that raises up to around 50 fow.

I don't have my log book w/ me at the office, but got to the 'Bula stacks and head north till you hit 70 fow, as you head east, you will have to also work south to maintain 70 fow. Try to bounce off the 70 to the shallower 68 or so depth and watch your plotter, you will see the "dip" in the south lip of the ditch that I speak of because as you get further east (a mile or so) you will have to work much more sharply north to maintain that depth range.

Hi all,

we don't have much of the trench in Ohio just the begining of the two where they start to split into PA, but it does change a couple of feet. It drops a lot out in front of walnut creek. You can see it on the link mike has for nautical charts at the top of this page, it's chart 14828 zoom in on walnut creek then scroll north and you'll see the depth lines. Ohio only has the tip of the trench like storm said. We do have the humps in Ohio way out by the corner of PA and Canada.

The humps out there in the "NE Corner" (where PA line meets OH line meets Canadian border) can be a blast late summer for steelies and the occassional eye. Lots of humps, lots of steelies. Hooked 24 in an afternoon out there once. Hard on gas, 25 mile run out of Conneaut.