dipsy rods

Bumping up the old arsenal from two riggers by adding two dipseys or planer boards. The rods in the store labeled as dipsey rods seemed longer and a little stiffer. Is it better to have the extra length to get out farther and the extra stiffness to help set the hook on the fish? Would these "dipsey" rods be okay to run boards off of? We use standard 8 1/2' rods for riggers, would two more of these work fine with dipseys and boards?

The Dipsy rods are long and stiff to take the extremely hard pull of a Diver. You may be able to use them for boards, but I would rather have a 6 or 7 ft rod for them. The dipsy rods long length also helps to keep the rod tip out farther than the out and down riggers.

I have 2 sets of dipsey rods, braid on 10'6" and wire on 9'6". The long rods makes setting them a lot easier and lets you use a longer leader. I have 2 different lengths because when I get a bigger boat I would like to use both sets. The shorter wire rods would be inside and deeper than the longer braid rods. I prefer shorter rods, 8' or under for cores and boards. I also like a lighter action because I use 12# test on my boards and like to have the action in the rods to help fight fish. For slide divers I use a short, stiff rod. This makes it easier for me to set on my boat because I don't have a lot of empty floor space.