Life Jackets

GLF

I have two small boys, 2 and almost 6. I have the small vest style life jackets for them. They have the pool filled at the marina now. We took the boys there on Sunday to go swimming in the pool. I put the life jackets on the boys and was going to let them bob around in the water for a while. To my surprise....when I let go of the boys in the water, the first thing that would happen, is they would start falling over, face first in the water :eek: This put the fear of GOD in me. Here I was under the impression it would keep them afloat and they would be able to breath.

Maybe I panicked, and their face would not have gone in the water. Before I take them back out on the boat, I WILL test this again. If it lets them go face first, I WILL replace the life jackets with another style. There is no way a 2 year old will be able to keep his face out of the water.

Has anyone ever tested their kids life jackets to see if they keep their face out of the water? Is it just me????

What about your adult life jackets/vests? Will it keep your head out of the water if you get knocked unconscious for some reason and end up over the side?

I would like to know what kind of vests you have. I just purchased one from my daughter who is 2. I assumed that kids life vests would keep them face up. I'll have to test it out. I was also under the impression that not all adult life vests would do that. I think there is something to the rating of the life vest. Some are just meant to keep you afloat. I think it has to be a category 1 or 2.Check out this link: http://www.boatus.com/onlinecourse/documents/SAFETYEQUIP.html#lifejackets

Those life vest are the worst thing to have on a kid. The best ones that I allways kept on my kids was those kind that the kids just hate to have on. Those big bulky kind that I have in my boat Mike. If I was you I'd call up the coast gaurd and ask them what the best type for your kids to have on them.

Those life vest are the worst thing to have on a kid. The best ones that I allways kept on my kids was those kind that the kids just hate to have on. Those big bulky kind that I have in my boat Mike. If I was you I'd call up the coast gaurd and ask them what the best type for your kids to have on them.

I agree and if your take and get the web material and a snap you can make a full harness that goes between the legs.

The neice and nephew have life jackets they were in the pool all the time. Nephew is just over 2 and the neice is almost 4.

They are the vest style but they do have a strap that goes between the legs so they can sink out of their jackets. but it keeps them upright and they cruise around the pool doggy paddling. It is quite comical and they have a ball.

Also Treblemaker has a sweet lifejacket for his son that has a handle on the collar. So you can just grab the handle and pull the kid out of the water if required. Perhaps PM him and see what kind that is.

-Jim

The vest for my youngest, does have a strap that goes between the legs. I am thinking the orange horse shoe shaped ones would be the way to go.

I have a smaller life vest that has the extra floatation in the colar with the handle on the collar. All of the floatation is on the front side, and there is no flotation in the back of it, so it should keep them afloat properly. I will double check and make sure its the proper size for my youngest to use.

The ski type vest jackets are fine if they have the extra flotation up at the rear of the neck.

I believe this style is a type II according to the USCG. It is a law in Michigan that any children under 7 years have a type II PFD on while boating. The "horseshoe" style that are orange typically are a type II also. They lack the strap that will keep them from slipping out of it though.

Check the children's weight also so you can make sure the vest is rated for their poundage. This has a lot to do with how bouyant it will keep them.

Mustang survival makes some real nice ones designed for children. Stearns also has some nice type II PFDs. Boaters world carries a good selection of both brands.