Spnners and Flies

Who has been getting fish on Spinners and flies? I have not had a release on a spinner/fly combo this year :( I have only been running them on my wire divers. I considered putting one on a rigger this past Saturday.

I just finished pre fishing and fishing the Niagara Pro-Am here on Ontario. My first pro-am (Am division), finished 16 in a 44 boat field which I was happy with. My only real goal in this one was just to not suck and embarrass myself.

I would say in 3 days of pre fishing and 2 days of tournament fishing that 90% of my bites came on spindoctors and flies, of them, 2 rigs took the majority of the fish, a mountain dew/CG doctor with a crinkle green howie, short lead (8-10 ft) on the probe rigger was far and away the hot rig, taking the majority of the bites overall, 2nd was a chrome/green doctor with a mirage Atommik off the wire diver.

The mountain dew/green crinkle short lead off the probe rigger was also my hottest rig all of last season.

Tim

Nice job Tim....saw it on the pro-am results today!

Only got up to Wilson a couple times due to work and

putting up a pool (for the wife:grin: ).

But the walleye bite has already started here...slow but early

in my mind!

John

we have had good luck on 11" white coyote with white fly down the chute 83 -130 down for the last 3 weeks with a mag white glow george silver streak above it or a yellow spindoctor and and mraige with a candy corn above it also

I've had roughly 1/3 of my hits come off green/silver prochip flashers with glow green/white flies and/or white/green spinnys with similiar flies. I've had best luck off the riggers, although I did have some success with a green/yellow 3fly herring hauler behind a white pro-chip flasher with the dipsey taking care of hauling duties.

Most of my fishing is done out of South Haven, MI.

We have taken 6 fish total for the year on spinnies and flys. Green and white spin doctor with geen strong fly, Mt.Dew spindoctor with a green sea weed by pruple toco. and smoke opti doger with a green ice fly . all leads are 24 to 28 inches behind the spinnie and 4 of the 6 fish came behind wire dipsey the other two were on downrigger. Ive noticed that fish are fussy when fishing flys and spinnies. speed is crucial and if you are running over 3mph on the sub troll you are two fast and if you are below 2.5 mph on the sub troll you are two slow. Atleast on my boat I cant speek for everyone elese.

We have had very good luck with an 11 inch Pro-Troll ProChip White/Glow flasher with an Oceana Rapture Fly. This has by far been our best and most consistent rig day in and day out from St. Joe to Whitehall. Another good producing rig has been an 8 inch Pro-Troll ProChip White flasher with a Hit Man No-See-Um Rapture Fly or an Oceana Rapture Fly. These two rigs caught the majority of our large fish in the St. Joe and South Haven tournaments. Other flies that have been producing well behind 8 inch Green Glow, Blue Glow and Glow Green Hot Tiger Pro-Troll ProChip flashers have been the Last Supper Rapture Fly, Hypnotist LG Rapture Fly, Blue No-See-Um Rapture Fly and Green Dude Rapture Fly.

My two favorites so far this year have been chrome/ chrome pro troll w/ Horse Fly purple firecracker that i been running on rigger 15'-17' back, and Blue Bubble spin doctor w/ Bugeye Fly-Alewife on my first set of dipseys.

GLF, my guess is that it isn't so much the spinny/fly, but rather the diver. I fish the same port as you, and have had good fly/spinner bites, but only one day of diver bites. And as I think about it, that had Stingers on it. The fly bite for me has been deep. John gives a very good and dependable list above.