Stacker/Slider Lead Length?

How long of a lead do you guys use for your stacker/slider length? And also is it true that when making a turn your free sliders and stackers will drop and then not rise back up? And have any of you had luck with stacking a dipsey?

I usually go about 4 feet or so with my sliders. Any longer than that makes it tougher for me to land them with the main bait at the tip of the rod.

The baits on the slider go all the way down eventually, more so on the inside turn rods. My friend had a camera on the downrigger ball that showed the sliders to the bottom end in about half an hour or so, if I remember correctly.

I go about 5-6 ft. If they are longer I just have the person reeling back up to the front of the boat. The charter we were on last year used long leaders (10+) on the dipsey's and just had us reel until we hit the dipsey and then back up, that way you can use longer leaders. It also works good when you have newbie fisherman, if they back up to the front of the boat they won't try to bend over and look at the fish when you go to net it, which equals FISH OFF. This is from experience.

OK i have ran sliders many times on the riggers but this is the 1st time i have heard of them on dipseys,does this work and how is it rigged?i assumed that the line to the dipsey was pretty strait and i also thought it was the belly in the line that kept the slider where ya wanted it? also is it hard to release a dipsey if the fish hits the slider versus the bait at the other end of the dipsey?and lastly is it worth the problems i can see with the rig(tangles),has anyone had any success with this?

thanks Randy

I'm curious about using a slider on a dipsey, too. I've heard smatterings about this from guys at boat ramps, but have never tried anything like that.

I normally 5-6' lengths on my sliders. On my back two riggers, I'll fix them just to keep the lines running good and tight, generally about 8-12' up from the ball. On my sides, I'll run at least on free slider and just make it a habit to change up the lure or reset every so often. I think that sometimes that action of the slider falling down will help attract the occaisonal hit, particularly if fish are scattered in the water column. If the fish are really active, I abandon the free slider and run fixed. If they are really really active, I'll abandon the sliders altogether.

my 2cents,

Mike

As has been said, you really don't want to go longer than the rod for landing reasons. Get some rubber bands and fix your slider where you wqnt them so you won't have to worry about them hitting the cannon ball and tangling your other line. There is a company that makes a spring loaded clip to go on your line to fix the slider in one spot also but not sure who make's it.

I have some at 5 foot that ive got 2 fish on this yr. and i been using them fixed with (stacker stickers) its like a wax coated swivel that keeps it from sliding down that i attach about 5-10 foot above the ball.I was thinking they should be producing more because of the lures im running on them are going on other set ups at about the same depth and match my lure on my main line cept smaller, and ive been on other boats that take alot of fish on free sliders/fixed. I run a smaller lighter spoon cause of the fear of a mag. spoon dropping faster on turns. What i meant about on the turns was the lures dropping/falling down from the fixed position where its attached to the main line then not being able to rise back up, not as a free slider but in a fixed position sry for confusion. Ill try some at 4 foot an see what happens. I was thinking i should go longer to seperate the fish from the boat a little more and to put that lure a little closer to the one on the main line. I kno every boat is different and i need to find what works what on mine, but damn those manual riggers.:) Thanks for the replys.

I keep two seperate snells; one for leaders that are shorter in length(~3') and one for sliders that are longer in length(~6').

I do the same thing on a swim noodle. One end has short leaders for dipsy rigging etc. The other end has 6 foot leaders for sliders.:) The swim noodles are cut into 12 inch lengths. :)