Cold dipsey

I got out of Frankfort late Saturday morning for an hour or so and picked up a 5 pound king on a full core and that was it. It seems that the dipsey program has been extremely slow so far this year for me and have had some southern friends say the same.

Has anyone been getting the dipseys going? Just curious.

I have not had a release on a dipsey yet this year either. How ever....I have only been pulling spinners and flies. I have heard radio traffic from other boats who are getting them on dipseys with spoons.

Are you running them with spinners and flies or spoons?

I've been going straight spoons, mostly regular size, but have put out some mags also. I lengthened my leader too. I've also considered going lighter than the 17 pound that I'm currently running but am pretty sure that I'd bust it on any decent fish. Maybe it's just not what they're looking for up here yet. The riggers and core have been almost even, with a few more fish on the lead.

Mark,

What color dipsies are you running? Do you put a good stagger on them in the water column? I have had good luck with smaller lighter spoons behind dipsies in the past.

I see that you are from Honor. Do you fish only Frankfort or do you trailer? Ever fish up in Glen Arbor out near Pyramid?

I run just the basic chrome and colored chromes and even painted some black ones, which were on fire last year. I usually put one out real short like 60 back and the other twice that or more and let them out further as the day goes on and I get deeper.

I trailer an old school 19 foot '72 Starcraft Holiday up to Glen Arbor and Frankfort as both are only 15 minutes away. Fishing has been decent at both ports, but not as good as further south. Kings have been chunky and full of bait. :)

Ive been doing pretty good with my dipseys this year (chrome) with 4 foot 30lb. flouro leads on my flasher/fly then 21-22 inches behind flasher. With straight mag. spoon behind dipsey been doing good with 6 foot leads using 20 lb. flouro. Last trip out I hooked up more on dipseys than the lead cores. I like to use the 12 inch clear snubbers over the colored snubbers or no snubber at all.

I took 1 fish (our biggest) on a dipsey-spinny-fly combo Monday. That is the only fish I have taken this year but I'm running only flasher/fly combos on them. I thought that my flasher/fly program was real weak last year and I'm focused on improving it by running them every trip and tweaking the presentation.

We have taken fish on dipseys with Flashers and flies running 48" flourocarbon leaders and we have also taken fish on spoons behind the dipseys with the same lead lenght and one of my hottest set ups has been Green dipsey with green snubber and Mongoose J Plug with a 60 inch leader as I can get away with this as my wire dipsey rigs are 10'.

Dipseys are hit or miss. We have found in our case if were runnning alot of surface lines. lead core etc. we wont have hardly any dipsey action. When it is rough out like in the tournement two weeks ago we ran our riggers with dipseys set on 3, 200' to 260 back and no lead core as my boat is only 8' wide so I could not use board in 4 to 5 footers and run consistantly. When we went to this presentation Dipseys were the only thing we had hits on.

Dipseys are hit or miss. We have found in our case if were runnning alot of surface lines. lead core etc. we wont have hardly any dipsey action.

Now that you mention that, I've noticed that same thing. When I'm successful with the shallower lines(5-7cores and less), I barely get any dipsey action. When my dipseys are firing, the shallower core rods don't fire.

My rigger bite has been consistent all the time, which makes me happy because they're the most expensive! :D

My dipseys haven't been doing much this season, but my half cores have been pretty consistent.

I guess I don't really care what the fish come on, as long as they're coming! :D