Inline planer question

I ran big boards all last year, but I want to run some inlines. I bought 4 TX22 church boards, but I have yet to catch a fish with them. I caught a few fish Sunday only after I switched to my ig boards.

Here are my questions...

1. Do you set your boards to re;ease on the hit?

2. When running lead core do you set it to release?

3. how long of a lead do you run for body baits?

4. should your boards be hopping or running flat like big boards?

Thanks in advance

I ran big boards all last year, but I want to run some inlines. I bought 4 TX22 church boards, but I have yet to catch a fish with them. I caught a few fish Sunday only after I switched to my ig boards.

Here are my questions...

1. Do you set your boards to re;ease on the hit?

2. When running lead core do you set it to release?

3. how long of a lead do you run for body baits?

4. should your boards be hopping or running flat like big boards?

Thanks in advance

Baydog,

1. No. I thread a rubber band onto my line and hook it and the mono through the rear pin on my boards. This way, if the board should happen to release while fighting a fish, it won't slide down the line and risk bumping the fish off. You could also use speed beads, but I like bands because they just reel right up into your spool.

2. No. I do the same thing for core and flatlines

3. Anything from 30 to 100 feet. For me it depends on how much room I have to work with. If I'm in open water and can spread way out, I will usually have a longer lead.

4. I like my boards to have a little slap in them, give that spoon some eratic action.

• 9 months later...

There are 3 different ways most people attach their planer boards on their lead core rods. First, many people splice a piece of mono inbetween the superline backing and the lead core. This tactic allows for the board to always be attached to mono, even when fishing with superline backing. Secondly, some people attach their boards to the lead core, but you have to watch out for nics in the lead core because the lead core will break pretty easily right where the board clips on. Lastly, some people attach their baords to the superline backing, but this often results in false wave releases. Everyone has their own personal preference and do what they like best and feel the most comfortable with.

First, many people splice a piece of mono inbetween the superline backing and the lead core. This tactic allows for the board to always be attached to mono, even when fishing with superline backing.

Great idea Hitman! There is nothing more frustrating then having to reset a board because of a wave.

I am going to add a peace of mono to my lead cores with super line backing.

We also came up with a new tactic the last few years that is extremely beneficial when fishing in bigger waves, or even if you don't ever want your lead core planer board to release without you personally releasing it. We wrap a rubber band around the arm of the Church Walleye Board. I wrote a little write up for Great Lakes Angler magazine. It hasn't yet been published but here is what I wrote:

Fishing in rough seas can be extremely tough and I know everyone has experienced a false release of their lead core planer boards before, often occurring at the least convenient times. It can quickly get annoying and frustrating. Here is a rough water tip that is simple and very effective. Like normal, you simply hook your backing, often a super braid line, into your release. Then take a #16 rubber band, available at any office supply store, and simply wrap the rubber band around the release and your backing line. When it is time to release your board, physically remove or break the rubber band and release your line. We have used this easy tip, during rougher than normal sea conditions, for the last few years with great success.

WalleyeBoard.jpg

We have used this easy tip, during rougher than normal sea conditions, for the last few years with great success.

I will vouch for this. I went out with Hit Man charters in 4' - 8' waves last year. We ran 3 boards off each side of the boat. The rubber band kept the boards from releasing.

I like the rubber band but have not found it necessary as of yet. Set the clip as tight as it would go and have not had one come off in 4 years. Makes it easier for pulling it off when you have a fish on. just my two cents worth. Thanks for the pic though this may come in handy if we have a chop Though I dont like to fish of there over 3 ft.

I have only used my inline PBs for walleye fishing. I use the Offshore brand with HD releases. A few times I have had to chase a board. TY for the rubber band trick. I have bands onboard, that I use for releases on my big boards anyway. I have also used bands for releases off the downriggers but not that often.