Transducer/Bottom Contact?

GLF

I installed a new fish finder this year and put a transom mount transducer. Somewheres around18-20mph I am loosing bottom contact. I am thinking I do not have the transducer deep enough.

How fast can you run your boat before your fish finder looses bottom contact?

the problem is most likely the aerated water coming off the bottom of the transom, Ive never had much better luck speed wise than either of you, for best performance go to a thru hull, with both units I use, a Furuno and a Si-Tex, i can keep bottom contact at any speed, the thru hull runs in less turbulent water, all you have to do is drill a 2 inch hole through the bottom of a perfectly good boat---------:eek:

I installed a new fish finder this year and put a transom mount transducer. Somewheres around18-20mph I am loosing bottom contact. I am thinking I do not have the transducer deep enough.

How fast can you run your boat before your fish finder looses bottom contact?

Me Too

mine does the same thing, it must be something with the x-111. i was thinking the angle was off?

With the X20c

the problem is most likely the aerated water coming off the bottom of the transom

This says it all and obviously its hard to put your head under water and look for the spot on the transom with the least amount of aeration/turbulence.......

Even with Lowrance's directions on the best places on a transom to mount a ducer I think you should try to lower it a little due to thats what I'm goinog to do to mine. Worse case scenerio the bracket kicks up and ducer moves like its supposed to do in case of obstruction and we'll have to raise it back up again.!!!!!!

.02 more!

I think it might be more of a difference in your boat. I was on a friends boat this past weekend with a X-111 and we had good readings even at 30+ mph. Probably turbulence from your hull.

mine does the same thing, it must be something with the x-111. i was thinking the angle was off?

I believe its the turbulence at the back of the boat. I would like to get a through hull transducer, but that is out of the question at the moment. I am considering putting the transducer beyond(deeper) Lowrance's recommendations.

Mike, you might try a puck style transducer epoxied inside the hull. not as $ as a bronze thru hull, but you will lose your temp and speed,

I will work some extra over time and have a thru hull installed during the winter.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Also remember there is a crystal that is in the transducer. If your Sonar is on as you fis so much , you might want to replace it as the srystal may be wearing out. They do wear out as many pro fishermen have to replace them annually.

Another thing is that the outside of the transducer should be smooth, if there are any nicks in it take buffing compounds and polish it like your car.

On the upper end units ( Lowrance LCX37 to LCX113's) on fairly Smoth water 25 to 30 mph is the fastest to mark fish , they look like Vertical pencils as the speed does not get to make a nice fish smile as it does when you troll at 2 mph.

I'm in the market for a new fishfinder and one thing I noticed on the Lowrance site is that not all transducers are rated as high speed.

You may also need to do a manual set up of the unit. Turn off the fish ID. Turn your ping rate up to 100%. Turn up the sensitivity until the screen is full of specks and then back off slightly to get a good picture. This should max out the performance of your unit.

This should allow high speed running, marking your cannonballs and thermocline. Lowrance has great tech help. Good luck.