Boat Ramp Tips

For those of you who may be new to this sport and are just starting out...

Here's the scenario; You've just arrived at the ramp. You're life jackets are still in plastic bags, your canvas is neatly folded and stowed, you haven't spilled any two cycle oil or buss bedding on your clean carpet yet, the inventory lot tag is still hanging from your keychain, you can still see folds in your new gortex jacket from Cabella's and you're going to put on your best show for your first time out with your family or friends.

For me, if my guests ever make a comment about their day on the water with me for the first time, more times than not, they will comment how fast I can drop a boat in and retrieve it at the end of the trip. And I'll tell you what, there's not a greater professional gesture you can offer to your fellow fisherman or boater than to know how to drop and retrieve a boat at the ramp. Its not about how well you can or cannot back down a trailer but about being prepared before you drop or retrieve. I don't know about everyone else but this is what I do.

1. Pull over into the staging lane or clearing before your in the ramp lane.
  2. Disconnect your straps and as long as you don't have a roller trailer, unhook your bow strap.
  3. Remove the transom saver from your outboard if you have one.
  4. Either assemble or stow any canvas which is on your boat.
  5. Load and stow any tackle, clothing, coolers or anything that your taking out on the water.
  6. Have a dock line set on either side of the boat or come with a dock line already on both sides.
  7. Have your guests make their last trips to the restroom before you leave the staging lane.
  8. Either get in line with youur rig or choose a ramp and have your guests standing on the dock and wait.
  9. In the last three boats I've owned, I generally back the trailer into the water till my wheel fenders are barely under the surface. The rear end is floating but the bow is still resting on the forward bunk.
  10. Tie the boat off at the ramp and park your vehicle.
  11. Hop in your boat, lower your engine if needed and get it fired up.
  12. While you double check what you've stowed, ask you passengers to board.
  13. Once your guests are seated and a final safety scan is made, back out of the lane. THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON TO SPEND ANOTHER SECOND AT THE RAMP. Unless you have engine problems and everyone understands that happens.
  14. After coming off the lack you have about 15 minutes before you reach the ramp. Use this time to stow and secure anything yuou pulled out while out on the water. Rods, skiis, coolers etc.. Make sure those dock lines are ready and you know your car keys are in your front pocket.
  15. Pick your lane and place in line and be sure as soon as the guy in fromt of you has left the ramp, your there right after him. Pull up and tie off. If you need help, ask a guest to be ready with line, don't allow them to be your brake.
  16. Tie off the boat and head for your car, have everyone meet you at the staging area while your gettinng your vehicle unless you need help.
  17. Back the trailer into the water at about the same spot you unloaded it from. It will take less time and you'll only have to crank the winch a dozen times at most.
  18. Pull the boat out into the staging area and take all the time you need to prep the boat for your return trip.
    Only because I have a lot a practice of going out by myself, I usually ask my guests to just step back till I ask for them. However, I do have a few friends that know the program and we work well together.
    The bottom line? Do everything you can to minimize the number of seconds you occupy that ramp lane. I appreciate it and I'll guarantee you everyone around you will be impressed and glad they picked your lane to follow!

Nice post Take Six...

Bass fisherman are usually the best at getting a boat in and out of the water. I know, I use to be a tournament fisherman. You would be amazed at how fast you can get 100 boats on trailers. Seemed like the only time the process was slowed down, was when there was a pleasure boater or salmon fisherman holding up the ramp :D

Usually one person is dropped off on the dock to get the vehicle and trailer, and the boat backs away. When it's their turn to get out, and the trailer is backed in, the boat is put on the trailer. After the strap is hooked to the boat, it is pulled out to a parking spot or the staging area. There the boat is strapped down and the transom savor is put on, and anything that is still not stowed is put away. There is no boat sitting at the dock waiting for a vehicle. I realize these are not bass boats, but only the really big ones should have issues getting a boat out of the lake. I realize not everyone can back up a trailer, but it is a good practice to learn and should be learned by anyone who fishes with someone with a boat.

Now if we could get everyone to do this with their boats there would be no congestion at the ramps.

One tip:

DO NOT unhook the strap and safety chain on your bunk trailer either IF you have recently been fishing in early/late season cold periods. The water on the bunks can freeze making a real neat slide for you rig.

One tip:

DO NOT unhook the strap and safety chain on your bunk trailer either IF you have recently been fishing in early/late season cold periods. The water on the bunks can freeze making a real neat slide for you rig.

I learned the hard way on my first roller trailer with a Lund Alaskan. We were going duck hunting on Erie and i unhooked everything and put the boat on the ramp, i only missed the water by 20 feet. I can put my boat in the water fast also, i believe its because i put a boat in for duck hunting, fishing in the winter, and fishing all summer. My biggest b**ch is the guy that cant back a trailer up. If you can pull it down the road, you should be able to back it into the water the first time. If you arent sure, go to a parking lot and practice!! That would save alot of time and dirty looks your way!

I have a 28 ft Golden Falcon house trailer I tow, and it is actually quite a bit easier to backup then some of these small boat trailers, except for the fact that you usually cant see where you are backing up to..:D

Here is a tip for those who have trouble backing up with a trailer. Move your hand to the Bottom of the steering wheel. Now when you want the trailer to go to the right, move the steering wheel up to the right or up to the left to make the trailer go left..

Some drivers find this easier to do then steering opposite what there brain tells them..

Excellent post!!

I agree, my main complaint is someon tieing up the dock at 5am rigging lines, getting the engine warm, waiting for the ast crew member to show, etc.

I have fished many years with Steve A. We have it down to a "t". We get to the ramp early and rig in the back of the parkng lot, head for the ramp with one of us at the helm of the boat and as the truck backs the boat in, we never slow down. As the boat is going in the water, the engine is fired and the boat backed off. We float out in front of the ramp allowing others to use the ramp. When the driver returns from parking, just nose the boat to the end of the dock and allow the driver to step on the boat and back away.

We do the same with the retrieve. But, As the driver of the truck backs in, the boat driver steers onto the trailer. As the boat goes on the trailer, the driver of the truck continues to back down so power loading is not needed and you more or less float the float on the trailer. Hook the bow and out you go. Practice comes into play. Spending more then 5 mins at the dock on either side is a no-no.

Again, nice post.

Mark

Awesome Post!!

I agree with Spoonfed, I also duckhunt and the constant in and out really helps you get proficient!!

I used to run one of thos big boats (proline 26 walkaround)...that thing was a booger at the ramp coming out! My little boats are a breeze.

this is my first year with the big boat, i have had a few issues but i will get it worked out soon. i can launch my 18 footer with my eyes closed. the pursuit is easy to back around the problem is getting it on the trailer right. after last weekend i put tape on the fenders so i know where the thing should land hopefully this weekend it will go faster!!

If you need help let me know. I found that the depth of the trailer in the water makes a huge difference in the straightness. too deep and she goes on crooked. too shallow and she is a mutha to pull on. You will find the right technique!

You want to buddy up this weekend?

If you need help let me know. I found that the depth of the trailer in the water makes a huge difference in the straightness. too deep and she goes on crooked. too shallow and she is a mutha to pull on. You will find the right technique!

You want to buddy up this weekend?

The steeper the ramp, the harder it is to get it straight on the trailer.

You guys forgot one big thing when you back your boat down to the ramps. Turn off your headlights so other fishermen can see when they back there boats down. I allways turn my headlights off and leave my running lights on. Man you just cannot see nothing when trying to back your boat down when another truck has there headlights on.

Caznik :)

You guys forgot one big thing when you back your boat down to the ramps. Turn off your headlights so other fishermen can see when they back there boats down. I allways turn my headlights off and leave my running lights on. Man you just cannot see nothing when trying to back your boat down when another truck has there headlights on.

Caznik :)

Good point Rich, one of the more important points that were over looked

Great post!! I think we should all pitch some money in the kitty, copy and laminate a few thousand pages of the original post and staple it to every public access launch around the state :D .

Every year I have my patients tested at the ramps!!:mad:

Some days the boat ramp can be the most entertaining part of the trip. I think that is a new thread alltogether. "Stupid Human Tricks at the Boat Ramp"

Levi, I have dropped a boat on the ramp due to icey bunks before. Not a pretty sight. A few less barley pops the night before and it would have never happened.

Good post!