Oswego 05/07 Rant & Report

Well, I was ready. I had ordered my LOC registration online 2 weeks ago and had received the card in the mail last week. I called my cousin and made plans to fish out of Oswego. I told him to order his derby reg. online, but when I picked him up at 4:30AM for the hour and a half ride to Oswego he told me he didn't believe in putting his credit card online and we would have to stop at Larry's Salmon Shop before we hit the water. ARRRGGHHHH!!! I suffered in silence for the hour and a half because I knew what happened last year when we were told the shop would be open at 5:30AM and we had to wait over an hour before someone finally showed to open the shop at 6:45. Sure enough, we got to the shop at 5:55AM and found two guys from outside the Albany area waiting at the door for it to open. They had called the night before and were told the shop would be open at 5:30. They were highly PO'd. We waited with them till finally 6:40 someone finally came to open. My cuz got his registration and we left the shop without even checking the shop for other things to buy, the guys from Albany did the same, vowing they would never return.

After stopping for doughnuts, hitting the head at Wright's, and prepping the boat, we finally got on the water around 7:30. Fishing was real slow throughout the day. We started along the shoreline for browns in 8-10 fow, nothing, went out deeper, 15-25 fow, nothing, went out deeper for kings anywheres from 50-200 fow, one sheephead. Lots of bait was marked from 90 to 200 fow at various depths. It went on for hundred of yards at a time, but no hooks anywhere near them. That was it for the whole day, almost.

I heard on the radio that a boat's engine had failed and the boat was close to the rocks near the lighthouse. I told "Cuz" to pull the lines and we headed to the lighthouse to see if we could help. We found a Starcraft Islander anchored off the lighthouse and offered a tow back to Wright's. He threw me a line and it was then that it hit me. "I finally had the Islander I had always wanted." I got him back to the docks but he made me give it back. Oh well, so much for salvage rights. He's a heck of a nice guy and I'm glad I had an opportunity to help him out. Come to find out it was a blown spark plug that almost disintegrated.

All in all it was a good day on the water though. The weather was nice, we didn't get completely skunked, and I met a new friend.

sheephead.jpg

This Sheephead had a belly like mine. He must like beer too.

FishNutz.jpg

Thumbs up for the ride home.

I never heard of a blown spark plug. I guess that's why I keep that extra set in the glove box.:) You sure did have your chance Bob. That Islander looks real good. Is that a homemade hardtop on it? I never needed a tow in ever, but I have towed a quite a few boats in.

Bob, That boat doesn't come with a trailer. I never saw the boat but was talking to the marina owner about some paint #s for my Starcraft, and he mentioned this boat. He said he had a line on a used trailer for around $400. I'm sure this boat could be had for less. I had thought that you were only looking for outboard boats. There are a lot of boats for sale, and I hope you can find yourself a good one.:)

That's great news. Please keep me in mind if you happen across any hardtops. If things don't work out with ebay I'll give the other one a call. My druthers are an outboard and hardtop, but I will settle for a bimini & I/O. I found another that looks promising. I"ll send you a PM.

Nice catch Bob! Its nice to see some people are willing to end their days fishing to help someone in need out.

Kudo's for a job well done!

Heh heh, I went back out thinking it would change my luck. HAH!!! No good, but we still had a good time on the water just being there. ;)