How much did it cost you

Fishing last weekend was pretty fun but how much did it cost you for gas. With the prices up at $3.15 a gallon it cost me $60.00 for my truck and I have to use premeum in my boat that cost me $25.00. It sure is getting exspensive fishing on Lake Michigan this year and I will not go as much as I use to go.

Rich

I just hooked up with 2 boatless friends, we split the slip 3 ways and all expenses 3 ways, so it will be affordable for all of us, if I had to pay for gas and dockage and all the other crap, Id probably use my boat 2 times a summer, and the sad fact is I have no car , boat or credit card payments and make decent wages, like James Carville said in the Clinton days, " its the economy stupid ":grin:

The truck used a half a tank of gas to go from Martin to Southhaven and back approximatly 15 gal which I think would work out to $47.25 at $3.15 a gallon. The boat used approximatly 12 gallons wich is about a 1/4 of a tank at $3.68 a gallon for 93 octain wich would work out to $46.00. So to the doller just for gas $93.25 so basicall a 100 spot to go fishing for 1 day. Thanks alot caz I did not think it was that bad untill I added it up to reply to this post. I got hosed.:eek:

I pulled the boat from Decatur, MI to Port Sheldon and back, so that's 150miles round trip at about 13mpg pulling the boat, so I'll call that ~$36. The boat didn't use much gas(stayed in Port Sheldon to fish), so I'll say $6 there. I won't add the $100 emergency trailer bearing repair 'discovery' on Saturday afternoon. My fishing buddy lives in Holland, so we went up to fish Saturday and I just stayed at his house all weekend. That helped the gas money alot!

If the lake was a litte nicer, I would have opted to spend the extra 4 gallons to run to Grand Haven for better fishing.

Caz, I hear what you're saying about the gas prices influencing how often you fish. My wife and I have nearly zero monthly payments(only 1 car and my student loans), but we're trying to save money to build a home in the future. Every dollar I spend on fishing takes away from money we need to save for the home. Gas prices will certainly influence my decision to fish this summer.

Oh, and my wife is great about me fishing. :D She always tells me, "you work really hard all the time, so go and spend the money to fish!" I love that girl!

Yes it is getting costly. I fish 3 to 5 times a week, when the weather is right. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to do that. Most of the time I'm withing 15 miles of home. My 140 Mercruiser is slow but my boat averages about gallon and hour, if I don't have to make any long runs. But it all adds up.

B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand. But if Ya Love It, Ya Love It.:)

I figure...

If I'm not out on my boat burning money, I'll be some place having not as much fun burning money. Period.

If you put together everything you would probably spend on your boat if you weren't on it i.e. movies, dinner, whatever, You'll spend alot less on the boat even if its 5.00 a gallon.

We do the occasional family day up to the Hardy. Take all our food with us, cruise up the river, find a bayou to hang out in and hang. Anchor the boat, get out, screw around on your own "private" little beach, eat, drink, be merry etc etc etc. If I'm not hanging with the family, I'm fishing with whoever wants to fish.

If you have it, your gonna burn it, somewhere.

The moral......

Shut up and Fish!

T

ps. if you complained about gas and still bought fishing "stuff" this week, raise your hand.........

pps. 86.00 for the truck and we about ran the boat, which obviously wasn't full out for a 26 gallon tank, I think, so's that should be another 86.00 due to the fact, thats whats in the truck too. 15.00 Tourney.

Knowing I spent 187.00 this weekend to have Rich (or somebody) take candid pictures of me.... Priceless. LOL.....

My outboard only sips a half-gallon per hour while trolling, and I live 20 miles from PS, so I didn't use too much gas. Although I did run wide open from tin roof back to the bubbler, come to think of it.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, as silver one. A hundred bucks to go fishing. When I go, it's a half tank of gas for the truck, and 12 gal. for the boat. I usually stay out there for 12-14 hrs.

• 1 month later...

I guess that I am luckier than most, I am only 5 minutes away from my boat.

So the cost to get there is minimal, as for boat gas, 12 gallons each time I go down there, is about $40.00 a trip.

The guys I fish with are really great, every time we go out, we take turns at the gas, and someone else brings the 2 - 6 gallon cans full.

My truck gets sucks gas when I tow my boat. From my door to Ashtabula, Ohio and back is 120 miles round trip is. So that gas bill is about 45 dollars. I usually put in 10 gallons in the boat, so that's another 30 dollars. Launch permit, and bait is a few more bucks. My buddy's are great when it comes to pitching in. We split it 3 ways as well.