Brother get's his first

My brother and I took up Turkey hunting 3 years ago and he had not scored a bird so I told him I would call for him this year and try and get a bird in front of him. Well we met up at 5 am and headed to the woods. I knew about where they should be roosted so I put up the pop up blind and decoys about 75 yards away hoping to coax a tom to come our way. Just as it is getting light we have a hen purring fron the roost. I answered her a couple times with the box and once with the slate thinking she may fly down and hang around. Wrong answer, she went silent and we don't know where she went. About 6:15 I hit the box call and had a tom answer right back. He was behind us so I lifted the blind and spun it so we had an open window facing that way. The tom and I talked back and forth for a couple minutes before he and a jake cam into view about 50 yards away and wouldn't come any closer. I finally got on the box call hard to see what he would do and another mature tom with a paint brush for a beard appeard out my window about 35 yards away. Told my brother to take him, he MISSED. He had a bad case of turkey fever LOL. We moved after that but nobody wanted to play. We packed up and moved a couple miles down the road to a spot where they have a couple dusting bowls. Told him I would just hit the call and if nothing answered we would just set a while and see what happens. I hit the call and nothing responded so I got really loud with it to let the birds know we were there. I had 2 hens and a jake breeding a hen set up in front of us. I figured I would take a cat nap and told my brother to keep an eye on things. My eyes no sooner got closed and he elbows me in the side and says there is a turkey out my window but he isn't sure if it's a jake or a hen. I look out the window and here is this jakle all pissed off about something, his head is beat red and he is clucking like mad. I inform him that yes it is a jake anf if he wants to he can shoot it. Up comes his gun and after what seemed like forever he finally pulls the trigger and the jake pills up. The bird was only 25 ft out side the window, he couldn't miss. All in all a great morning, now it's time to get mine.

BigBob.jpg

Hay Caz there were plenty of toms out there, at one point I had 3 birds talking a once. They are all still there at this point, that's where he missed the big one at.

Good Deal Steve,

I'm glad to see that you and your brother had a good time and you helping your brother get his first turkey. Where did you get it and where bouts did you see most of them. I know I herd some just on the other side of your dump from our woods. My brother has his hunt now to and will be hunting there also. Well good luck Steve hope you get one to.

Rich

Great story Steve! Glad to hear your brother finally got one. Turkey hunting is almost as exciting as bow hunting, which is almost as exciting as the sound of a screaming drag! :D

Good Deal Steve,

I'm glad to see that you and your brother had a good time and you helping your brother get his first turkey. Where did you get it and where bouts did you see most of them. I know I herd some just on the other side of your dump from our woods. My brother has his hunt now to and will be hunting there also. Well good luck Steve hope you get one to.

Rich

Rich

The first ones were stright west of the notrh end of the dump. The other 3 were all in the back feild edges. One on your side further back, closer to the river and 2 were over in our swamp back by the river. My brother got his bird on our dad's property.