Why Does Everyone Stop Fishing After The Spawn

GLF

It’s not that people stop fishing them but change where they fish for them. Once the salmon enter into a river system most anglers will move with them, abandon the lakes and hitting the rivers. Another reason is that the spawning of salmon marks the start of hunting season here in Michigan and most of the surrounding states, and after a long season of hitting the water a lot of anglers are ready to but there boats in storage before the extreme weather hits.

Steve

I end my Charters the last day of September because of the reasons Steve mentioned as well as the closure of the Lake Trout season.

I just figure that a huge number of the fish have become unavailable for harvest for one reason or another after that date, and I want my customers to have their best chance at catching fish. So I try to book them before then.

Beginning fall 2006, I will be offering trips for walleye as well as inland fishing after Sept. 30. If all goes right, ice fishing as well.

Did someone say deer hunting? Thats my second favorite thing to do next to fishing. I am suuprised more people do not keep their boats out. I use to have my bass boat out till first ice. Then again...an out board is easy to winterize.

Not only salmon are left in the lake. In fact I find I switch over more to browns and steelhead catches when the majority of hte kings shoot up the rivers.

Are you targeting the shallow water? Must be plenty of parking at the boat ramps.

Are you targeting the shallow water? Must be plenty of parking at the boat ramps.

Depends on the day but more times than not yes. I target shallower water.

However I recall a day fishing out of Muskegon in the middle of november in about 90 foot of water and mopping up on some fish. It was a mixed bag of kings and steelies.

And generally yes the parking lots are much less full than in prime season.

A lot of it is the fair weather factor.

I never stop fishing. The 2 and 3 year old bite in the late fall can be awesome. One of my best days ever occured on November 30th. This is the result of 4 hours of fishing between two boats. Several fish were tossed back too.

regicide.JPG