Canvas Leaks

I have my top sprayed with a water proof spray. The water beads off it nicely, but I am still getting drops through the top. I would like to put something that will seal it off better. The top stored when I have the mooring cover on.

Whatever I use will need to be plyable. Any recommendations?

I have my top sprayed with a water proof spray. The water beads off it nicely, but I am still getting drops through the top. I would like to put something that will seal it off better. The top stored when I have the mooring cover on.

Whats the water proof spray you use?

Also, I had to go under mine when it rained to see that the seam/threads for sewed in parts tend to leak even with water proof sprays protecting the top.

Only thing I could think of that would still have some plyable to it would be like a bathroom caulk (which is plyable for indoor use). Not that you could caulk the whole top or anything :lol: , but if the seams are leaking (like mine) maybe.........

T

I have used Thompsons Water Seal in the past on boat canvas. I'm sure there are other products for this also. If the seams are the problem I would do the seams first, and then go over the entire canvas. Remove the top from the boat so you dont slop this stuff all over everything.

I use Thompson's and seam sealer on my tent. It was recommended by a guy who does a lot of camping in the winter. He can't afford any leaks. Best way to do it is use the seam sealer first. Then put Thompson's in a garden sprayer (the kind you pump up and use to spray plants). Spray it on and let it dry. Then hose it down to check for leaks and rinse off any extra. I usually do 1 coat, let it dry, then do another. Never had a problem with leaks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys. At Saturday's weigh in we were in 3rd place temporarily. At today's final weigh in, we ended up in 6th place for the final. Today's fishing was real hard with 5-6 foot waves, one of our team got seasick and couldn't fish or help net, or anything. We all had a blast for our first Pro/Am tourney and I'm looking forward to next year already.:grin:

No, one of the other guys brought up his 22' Sylvan which is pretty much like an Islander. It was an older boat, but it handled the waves nice, everything worked great and was nice to fish out of with the high sides in the big waves we had. He has it set up nice with 3 Cannon electrics, 2 with extended booms and one short arm, and one Big Jon downrigger. We used the short arm for the down temp and speed unit. I learned a lot from the 2 guys I fished with and can't wait to try out what I learned when I get my rig up to Oswego the next time.

• 2 months later...

http://www.aquaseal.com/all.html

http://www.aquaseal.com/seam-seal.html

• 1 year later...
I have used Thompsons Water Seal in the past on boat canvas. I'm sure there are other products for this also. If the seams are the problem I would do the seams first, and then go over the entire canvas. Remove the top from the boat so you dont slop this stuff all over everything.

I finally got around to doing this today. I must say....The top looks really nice now. I may be able to get a few more years out of it.

My canvas is on it's last legs and this year I'm trying Thompsons waterseal. Last year I used a couple products and didn't have very good results. I was amazed at how dark the Thompsons made my blue canvas and it looks new now. The proof will be when it gets into it's first storm. I used it like was suggested before with a garden type sprayer. I will put it back up tomorrow when the trailer cover has a chance to dry out well.

Thanks guys I am in need of some waterproofing for my canvas. I will give it a shot as well. How much does a gallon cover or should I just buy 5 gallons? I have a mooring cover and a bimini. Probobly should just buy the 5 gallons so I have enough.

Thanks guys I am in need of some waterproofing for my canvas. I will give it a shot as well. How much does a gallon cover or should I just buy 5 gallons? I have a mooring cover and a bimini. Probobly should just buy the 5 gallons so I have enough.

I purchased a gallon. It covered my bimini, and I have more than enough to do the mooring cover.