What Happened to The Coho at St. Joe

A week ago Friday, the Coho came in at St. Joseph. This weekend it was a different story. Very few coho were caught to the South.

Why is that?

Here are my thoughts. There has been a sustained blow from the South for a few days now. If you look at this surface temp image from 4/21/07 at midnight, you will see the band of warm water that is moving into South Haven.

temp_red.GIF

I have been wrong before, but I have this feeling, that this is where the Coho are now.

If I was going fishing this week, which I am! :D I would be setting lines at the piers of South Haven, or slightly South, and heading South in 20 - 50 FOW. ;)

What are your thoughts?

Have you guys ever heard of fish biting best 3 days before and 3 days after full and new moons. Well i have. I happen to notice that the brown blast was the 14th, 3 days before a new moon and fri. the 20th when we went and alot of people were catching them was 3 days after the new moon. Could be just coinsidence (sp) but it might be worth paying a little attention to.

A week ago Friday, the Coho came in at St. Joseph. This weekend it was a different story. Very few coho were caught to the South.

Why is that?........

........If I was going fishing this week, which I am! :D I would be setting lines at the piers of South Haven, or slightly South, and heading South in 20 - 50 FOW. ;)

I did not have much luck with cohos out of South Haven this weekend. From the people I talked to at the ramp, they weren't really turned on just yet. The fish we did get were all deeper than 50fow. My report will be posted soon in the fishing reports.

I did not have much luck with cohos out of South Haven this weekend. From the people I talked to at the ramp, they weren't really turned on just yet. The fish we did get were all deeper than 50fow. My report will be posted soon in the fishing reports.

How far South did you go?

Ive found in the past in st. joe that a large number of boats tend to move the fish. Talked with three boats that were pulling out before 8.00am sat all had limits and were on the water at 6.00am trolling for that reason. They did not have to doge the herd. I have also seen this myself as ive gone during the week in same conditions weather wise as it was on the weekend and cleaned up when no other boats were around. You get 3 or 4 hundred boats motoring around and it even scares me at times.

How far South did you go?

We ran down to Palisades plant and began zig zagging north toward the South Haven piers. It's been my experience that trolling outside the Black river or near the power plant can be really hit or miss. When it's a miss, I normally head toward deeper water until I find baitfish or fish. This weekend, I marked some shallow fish in both locations, but could not get them to go. The deeper fish weren't hot by any means, but at least we were getting some on and off action.

The boat traffic was not heavy anytime out of South Haven. I only saw/heard 6 or 7 boats at time on the lake. Apparently everybody took the drive south this weekend.