twisted mono

hook4242

Not sure how to prevent it, but to remove it cut the lure / swivel off, trail the line out behind the boat and let it drag for a while.  It will un-twist itself.

Is it with the same lure every time?  Could be something is out of tune...

26 minutes ago, FBD said:

Not sure how to prevent it, but to remove it cut the lure / swivel off, trail the line out behind the boat and let it drag for a while.  It will un-twist itself.

26 minutes ago, FBD said:

27 minutes ago, FBD said:

no it is different setups from a downrigger  spoons sometimes and spin doctors with flys others

• 2 months later...

I agree with FDB, cut the swivel off and troll the line for a bit with nothing at all on it. I would put a different ball bearing swivel on it too once you real it back in. The one you were using could have a catch in it or something. I would then try a lure which doesn't spin to see if the line stays straight. Is this an open face reel? If so remember not to reel a lot if the drag is running out or if it's turning with the bail. That will twist your line quickly.
If all is well, try going back to your spinning lures to see if the swivel is keeping up and line staying straight. The only swivel I buy unless in a pinch, are the Torpedo brand. I stay away from box store brands like South Bend. It's not worth it to spend all the money we do on equipment and then put a 50¢ swivel on the line. Good ones may cost two bucks apiece or more. Also, what kind of line? I don't know what 1 pound spoon is. Spool? Sometimes it can twist as you are winding it on the reel with open face. Test by stopping occasionally to see if the line is twisting as you're putting it on. If so, turn the bulk spool over so it unwinds from the opposite direction. Good luck! I know that is an aggravating situation. Also, I see you put this question in the Recipe section of the site. You may get more responses if in the fishing gear part of forum. Tight lines!

Sent from my moto z4 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App