Never Bow to 10 pounders.

After what seemed like a life time of waiting this year, the conditions finally got right tonight. Well, most of them anyway. The Saginaw Bays water clarity was still what I'd consider on the stained side, with maybe 2 feet visibility looking at the #18's Rapala's swimming along side the boat. But it didn't take long late this afternoon about an hour before dark and only 1 hour after we launched that the first strike yanked the middle board out of place. But the fish quickly got off and was gone.

About 45 minutes later as the sun was about half gone on the horizon the middle board on the other side with the #14 Husky Jerk/Tennessee Shad flew out of place. As I handed the pole to my lady client (with her husbands permission) I could tell this was a BIG fish. She did fine playing the bruiser in and when I could see the fish I knew it would go 10 pound or more. I was really nervous (for some reason) as I removed the InLine, as the crank was only 18 feet behind the board. I told her to step up front a little and lift with all her might. I wanted to get the monster in one swift scoop. The lady must have been watching the fish real close because she made the classic mistake.

As I step between her and the fish to scoop. She leaned over to peak around me to watch. And in doing so dropped the rod tip and gave the fish slack. Moving it away from the net as I was scooping down and in. I don't have to tell you what happened then. I got a net full of Husky Jerk with a monster walleye being dragged on the outside of the net. I tried to lift the fish up and in the boat. But things that weigh 10 pounds up close weigh God knows how much 12 feet away swinging from the mesh of a net. I tried to thrust the net under the fish but there was not enough slack in the bag. And away she finally went. We did end up catching another nice one just 5 minutes before it was time to leave. I know I'm going to wake up in a cold sweat for a while dreaming about that one.

IM001347.sized.jpg

IM001349.sized.jpg