Solo, short trip today 1.5 hrs, waves 2-3ft, shot out to 170fow before I found some cold water at 120ft below the surface. Went 1 for 2 with a 3.35lb king with Bloody nose mag (8:38am), 172fow, 120 down on DR, ball temp 46.1. As I was bringing up my DR the cable broke taking my cannon ball and fishhawk probe to the deep. It happened so fast I couldn't catch it. My only consolation was my small very expensive king. I was marking enough fish to stay out, but as I looked at my other rigger I noticed the wire was frayed, so rather then risk another DR issue I headed in to repair it and try another day. Lesson learned, but very expensive.

If you find your fishawk display is reading funny in the 172 fow range, remember my batteries will be running for 200 hrs before they stop.

1358939741_IMG_20220916_0949421.thumb.jpg.34fc01459b5b8f1e12951c12f3e582fa.jpg

• Like 2

• littleboat changed the title to Holland Am 9-16

That is a real kick in the shin.  I lost one years ago on my former boat and this year, lost a Smart Troll probe but not the ball when the Cannon auto stop was not zeroed out at the surface.  I keep a good watch on the cables as I am confident you do as well but they will show up unannounced and when you are least looking.  Hate when a costly passion is made more costly by my own doing.

I think the cable must have been frayed a little, but the boom hid it, so I didn't catch it, then a 3ft wave hit me put it under the transom ladder and pulled my boom pulley right out it's holder when it broke, because it was all near the surface when it happened. I'm going to be more manually attentive when my autostop comes to the surface. Because it may have run all the way up to the pulley and broke before I realized it. It was all very fast when it happened.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Ouch! That stinks. Not to hijack your post but what is everyone using for batteries in their FishHawk probe? I only use Energizer Lithium. They last 3-4x longer than alkaline and you don't have to worry about corrosion or leaching acid if you accidentally forget to take them out at the end of the season.  Gotta protect those probes. Dang things are a must have!

Love our new Hewescraft, but they installed the Garmin transducer on starboard, with Fish Hawk transducer on port, which is same side as 15hp kicker.

Apparently I was not smart enough to tell them mount them opposite, in order to keep downrigger cable with Fish Hawk probe away from side with kicker prop. Learn sumpin everyday......

TWICE this season now, while fishing over 100' deep for right temp, we've now caught and cut off cable in kicker prop and lost Fish Hawk probe, cannonball, release 

Nothing like going back to same store and asking, now can I buy a second one?  Try not to think about gas I could have bought...

We've now decided to run Fish Hawk probe on starboard downrigger for rest of season. Works perfect over 95% of time with probe on opposite side of transom than transducer. 

Other than that, we had a great time catching fish at different ports on Lake Michigan since March. Still not done yet 

Love our new Hewescraft, but they installed the Garmin transducer on starboard, with Fish Hawk transducer on port, which is same side as 15hp kicker.
Apparently I was not smart enough to tell them mount them opposite, in order to keep downrigger cable with Fish Hawk probe away from side with kicker prop. Learn sumpin everyday......
TWICE this season now, while fishing over 100' deep for right temp, we've now caught and cut off cable in kicker prop and lost Fish Hawk probe, cannonball, release 
Nothing like going back to same store and asking, now can I buy a second one?  Try not to think about gas I could have bought...
We've now decided to run Fish Hawk probe on starboard downrigger for rest of season. Works perfect over 95% of time with probe on opposite side of transom than transducer. 
Other than that, we had a great time catching fish at different ports on Lake Michigan since March. Still not done yet 
You should be ok, just turn the gain up between 3 and 5 higher than you have it on. I run mine higher on the gain than I used to and get a better steadier signal even with it on the same side as it's downrigger. I have both transducers on the same side opposite the kicker motor.

New probe came today. Boom pulley, cable, terminator fittings a couple more days. I have all the rest.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App