Had an interesting day out on the big lake this morning. Of course the marine report was wrong...again. around 1 footers. Yeh right! More like 2-3 with an occasional 4.

Got a late start and didn't drop lines until 6am. Thought I would try and find the cold water that was still in tight north. That did happen and no bites. Pulled up and ran west and set up again in 140fow. Down rigger went off at about 8am 61 down 10" with spindoctor green dots with riverside fly. 16lb king. Dropped it back down. High diver went w/green frog spotted heck spoon. 160' 12lb king. Waves started to pick up and we turned and went with the waves. Same rigger went off with a 10lb king. It was about 10am and we started troll towards shore. Picked up shaker on 200 copper and released it. Pulled lines and ran in. Then a terrible sound came from port side outboard. Then bam. Lower unit let loose. And put gaping hole in case. Limped in on one motor.

Ugly. But we caught fish. Looks like I will have some repairs in my near future.

20220820_122324.jpg

• Like 2

Do you just troll on one engine or do you have a kicker mtr also? Let us know what failed? Great catch through a difficult situation

Weather forecasts, that 1ft forecast can be real tricky. I try to look at the offshore zone for the area I will be in and if looks greater than 1-2 fts I know it will be a bouncy day and stay home.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I troll using one of the two motors. I switch from side to side to share the duties but my port side motor does troll better. I do not have a kicker. The transom on a Grady White will not all. I could put a 300hp on instead of two 150's and then a kicker but.... I don't know? I know I would probably use less fuel.

When I find out more, I will let everyone know.