Port Sheldon 8/5 PM 2 for 4 with a hog

Beautiful night decided for a late start since I don't get to stay out past sunset too often. Fished 7 to 11 started out 200fow.

Set a new record for the boat around 8:15 with the 1st fat male down 90 on the rigger 20 back on the raspberry carbon. Don't have a scale but the calculater and 35 yrs tells me this is about a 30#er. Waiting on my big net yet (more later) so I had to hand land this one for the finish.

Almost a double! - just after landing the biggin second hit 200fow 80 down 20 back on a carbon 14. I was resetting the other rigger, and had a small cluster as this hit took the line into the trailing lure and I had to untangle at the worst time. Little smaller than the 1st one but lost it off the boat trying the too dang small net again 🤬 and that initial tangle gave the edge to the fish I'm sure.

9:15 150fow got a small 3# silver on a 10 color off planer board with double trouble.

10:30 140fow had a good smack on 10 color off planer board with red flounder but dropped it.

All my rods/sets saw some action tonight.

My 35yo cumings 25x28 non extender is just not up to size large. I also fish solo quite often so that's always fun. Ranger 28x30 telescoper should be here today lol.

IMG_20220806_004921243_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 3

Also fished PS Friday evening (6-10). Started in 150 and trolled to 215. Ended 6-11, all but one bite was between 195-210. A blue dolphin Stingray w a glow back went 6 times down 80 and a mag Bad Toad MS went twice on the add a line at 90. Bite was pretty consistent, only had 3 bites during twilight.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Wes34 said:

Also fished PS Friday evening (6-10). Started in 150 and trolled to 215. Ended 6-11, all but one bite was between 195-210

Action fun 👍 may have seen you on the way in it got kinda sparse later. Did you see the ghost gravel freighter appear from nowhere in the haze?

I am fairly certain you and I were passing each other late in the evening in that 200+FOW (Fin Warrior has a blue hull) as there was only the two of us out there.  Put down 5 dark lures at 8:20pm and raised the baits a bit ready for the dusk bite but no dice.  Only boated two lakers but had several rips with one Mustad large treble that got straitened out on a wire diver after the initial strike.  I love those hooks for SH and they are also light weight, good for keeping the action on the lure but they will flatten out if a big king only grabs one of the three barbs.

Most importantly, a big congrats on landing a stud king solo.  I do a lot of the fishing myself so I know the fun and the challenge it brings.  Best of luck on your next float.

• Like 1

I

8 hours ago, zgrinder on Fin Warrior said:

I am fairly certain you and I were passing each other late in the evening in that 200+FOW (Fin Warrior has a blue hull) as there was only the two of us out there.  Put down 5 dark lures at 8:20pm and raised the baits a bit ready for the dusk bite but no dice.  Only boated two lakers but had several rips with one Mustad large treble that got straitened out on a wire diver after the initial strike.  I love those hooks for SH and they are also light weight, good for keeping the action on the lure but they will flatten out if a big king only grabs one of the three barbs.

Most importantly, a big congrats on landing a stud king solo.  I do a lot of the fishing myself so I know the fun and the challenge it brings.  Best of luck on your next float.

Thx for the inputs. I think you were just south of me then.

Took my sister along she likes going out and it was cool she got to see bigger ones run.

God bless her, she's kinda worthless as a fisherperson but generally a good luck charm so I put up with it 😂. She just won't do the net thing. Obviously I am fully capable of screwing it up.

Safe trolls to you.

• Like 1

Beautiful night decided for a late start since I don't get to stay out past sunset too often. Fished 7 to 11 started out 200fow.
Set a new record for the boat around 8:15 with the 1st fat male down 90 on the rigger 20 back on the raspberry carbon. Don't have a scale but the calculater and 35 yrs tells me this is about a 30#er. Waiting on my big net yet (more later) so I had to hand land this one for the finish.
Almost a double! - just after landing the biggin second hit 200fow 80 down 20 back on a carbon 14. I was resetting the other rigger, and had a small cluster as this hit took the line into the trailing lure and I had to untangle at the worst time. Little smaller than the 1st one but lost it off the boat trying the too dang small net again 🤬 and that initial tangle gave the edge to the fish I'm sure.
9:15 150fow got a small 3# silver on a 10 color off planer board with double trouble.
10:30 140fow had a good smack on 10 color off planer board with red flounder but dropped it.
All my rods/sets saw some action tonight.
My 35yo cumings 25x28 non extender is just not up to size large. I also fish solo quite often so that's always fun. Ranger 28x30 telescoper should be here today lol.

933528918_IMG_20220806_004921243_HDR2.thumb.jpg.e58218b4c7692a07f306a9307963b23a.jpg

So nice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman
  • Like 1