Fished north of the harbor but not quite up to Fort Sheldon.  Finished 9 for 10 from about 6:30 to 11:30am in one of the better trips in some time.  The action came in about 150FOW and I ultimately never worked much outside that zone trolling North and South most of the trip.  I could not get much of anything to hit early morning under the cloud cover.  Once the sun broke and swapping out UV lures for early morning glow and dark spoons, things picked up.  The one Spin Doctor / fly did nothing and I pulled it early to go with all spoons.  Also, J-plug on SWR had no takers and was pulled early.  Blue spoons were dominant for kings but most were in the 5lb range and released.  I kept one 10lb king and another that I could not unbutton off the back of the boat.  Green UV spoons took the rest other than the Coho (tonight's dinner) that came on Orange Crush.  The SH that kept jumping on the SB long line while the Coho was brought in on the Port long line was eventually landed with one barb left in its mouth that about fell out.  I will take fish luck when I can it and added my good fortune to the fish box.

Inspired by Mega Byte, I did my best to take notes during the trip on my yellow pad and loaded the data in the table below.  Dipsey bait depths came off of Smart Troll probes.  SWR was +10' on top of the Smart Troll reading.  Big marks again between 120' to 150'.  I assume these are LT but will have to put a line down there next trip to see what is down there.  Hope to build a log sheet over the next few days to improve my reporting.

image.thumb.png.6040e753f5c6a4a273be3bf0e0622a80.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed report. Should be a great Saturday out of Holland and Grand Haven.

Reel Therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

Fished north of the harbor but not quite up to Fort Sheldon.  Finished 9 for 10 from about 6:30 to 11:30am in one of the better trips in some time.  The action came in about 150FOW and I ultimately never worked much outside that zone trolling North and South most of the trip.  I could not get much of anything to hit early morning under the cloud cover.  Once the sun broke and swapping out UV lures for early morning glow and dark spoons, things picked up.  The one Spin Doctor / fly did nothing and I pulled it early to go with all spoons.  Also, J-plug on SWR had no takers and was pulled early.  Blue spoons were dominant for kings but most were in the 5lb range and released.  I kept one 10lb king and another that I could not unbutton off the back of the boat.  Green UV spoons took the rest other than the Coho (tonight's dinner) that came on Orange Crush.  The SH that kept jumping on the SB long line while the Coho was brought in on the Port long line was eventually landed with one barb left in its mouth that about fell out.  I will take fish luck when I can it and added my good fortune to the fish box.
Inspired by Mega Byte, I did my best to take notes during the trip on my yellow pad and loaded the data in the table below.  Dipsey bait depths came off of Smart Troll probes.  SWR was +10' on top of the Smart Troll reading.  Big marks again between 120' to 150'.  I assume these are LT but will have to put a line down there next trip to see what is down there.  Hope to build a log sheet over the next few days to improve my reporting.

Thanks for the detailed report! Awesome job on the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Now that’s a report!
Awesomeness

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman