New fishing set up tips and general questions

Hello! New to Lake Michigan fishing and I'm looking for some pointers as we all are. Also, New to me boat, 1975 Slickcraft SS206, I'm having a fuel problem around half tank, is there anyone on here with a Slickcraft with ideas? I saw some users have these boats or some pictures of the inside would be helpful.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Seems to have run out of fuel. Chugged  while starting to accelerate then died. Would start and idle for a minute then die a few times. Towed it in to the launch thinking the fuel gage didn't work and it's empty. Filled the tank but only took 12 gallons. Looking up info on the boat it's supposed to have around a 30 gallon tank.

Sounds like old or bad gas. Magnum Lure is right we need more information. When my motor died on two separate occasions I had my tank pumped and installed a secondary inline fuel line filter that allows me to collect and dump bad gas. To this day I regularly add Sea Foam or Stabil. Winter storage is with a full tank of premium gas and lots of S F or S.

Good luck and hope this helps

That sounds like a fuel line in the tank issue.  I had this happen twice with snowmobiles. Once the fuel line rotted off within the tank and when the tank got half empty it would run out of fuel. The other time the fuel like was curled up back into the middle of the tank and would run out of fuel at the 1/2 tank mark and worked fine when full. When fuel sloshes around or comes up on the trailer it gets some fuel then dies when it runs out. Check that out.

try an external tank to see if that solves it. Not that that is a permanent solution but would eliminate the motor or fuel pump as a problem. I am assuming on a 206 slick it probably is a stern drive with built in tank. Access to the tank? Prob decent access to fuel line near the motor. Can you just run a new clean line into the tank? A $50 electric(12v) racing fuel pump on Amazon and some long hoses will pump the fuel out of the tank in a jiffy. Run it into a white bucket. You will know immediately if it should go back in. Works well for snowblowers, snowmobiles and everything you want the fuel out of but can’t tip over….riding lawn mowers.

some ideas.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

you may just have a bad sending unit in you tank that shows 1/2 tank but may be empty. mine quit working and I replaced it. but I didn't know what I was doing. when we would fill the tank to the max it only showed 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I have no idea where it would run out because we always filled it after each trip. it never got below 1/4 tank. take the sending unit out and check for gas in the tank, my bet is it will be empty. have the sending unit replaced by someone who knows what they are doing or give it a shot following the instructions.

i had a friend that had a chevy van that would travel 300 miles on 1/2 tank. but once it got to the 1/2 tank you better get gas.