Trolling Copper, How much line do you let out after the copper?

Wrif101

Looking at setting up a couple copper rigs. I have read and researched but cannot find an answer to one question.

Q:  how much line is needs to be let out, after the copper to hit you target depth?

Example:  Blood run 32lb 250’ of copper at 2.5 mph will reach 40’

So, I let the leader (say 20’) & copper out, a total of 270’ (one end copper is at or near surface of water)

Q: Is the End of my copper at 40’  at this point?

Q: Do I need to let an additional 50’ or 100’ (etc.) to reach 40’?

Q: If l let out 200’ of backing, will it go deeper?  

Or does the copper just start to flatten out and run at 40’ ?

thank you for Patience's 

Craig

32lb-dive-chart.png

Keep in mind these charts are all approximate and will vary significantly with speed.  That being said, with braid backing, the more braid you let out, the deeper it will run.  Hard to quantify.  If you have say 30 lb mono backing, it won't dive much more at all.  They key to copper and lead core is that it isn't running at the exact depth all the time but swings up and down around the target zone.  Currents can make weird things happen too.  I've hit bottom with a 200 copper before at 2.5 mph due to some weird currents.  Also some days I'm marking fish at 55 feet, and the 400 copper is catching, but the 300 isn't touched.  Likely the 300 didn't go deep enough.

Jdh, thank you for the info. i'm sure it will help.

I guess what i am trying to identify is a base line on how the copper depth is achieved.  then i can account for all the variables.

assuming only variables, here are the copper's length, and speed. 

if i have one end of the copper at the water line will the other end be at the drive charts depth?

Or do i need i need to let out (??) anoumt of backing?  like min. 10 yards ......

copper-curve.png

Maybe this will help - the amount of backing should be - IMHO - the MAXIMUM you can add to the reel that you can - so I have a 6 rod copper set - which I put together myself - if I have one that has 150' copper - I have about a 20' leader of mono on the business end - then I back that with as much 50# braid I can - this allows me to put out a bit more backing in between the copper and the board - then I can put out any length I need to put the board at whatever distance from the boat I want.

You can gain a bit of depth with more line between the board and the copper by increasing the length. As I understand it - some actually add an inline weight between the lure and the copper to gain more depth too...not sure if that helps - just my 2 cents...

it would seem that the amount of backer below the water line should be at the least the depth you are trying to achieve. i do this with copper and lead core alike. both ends of a weighted line needs to be able to attain the target depth for the line to run at the target depth. in your example, you need 40 feet of backer below the water line. which means you may have to let out about 50 feet when you add in the line distance from rod tip to water line. hope this helps. it works for me .

it would seem that the amount of backer below the water line should be at the least the depth you are trying to achieve. i do this with copper and lead core alike. both ends of a weighted line needs to be able to attain the target depth for the line to run at the target depth. in your example, you need 40 feet of backer below the water line. which means you may have to let out about 50 feet when you add in the line distance from rod tip to water line, or more when you use planner boards or side planners. hope this helps. it works for me . 

I usually clip board right after copper/lead. No line counter required and easier to explain to people I bring out. You could probably ask 10 people and get 10 different preferences. No matter what you do, just keep it consistent from one setup to another so they are repeatable. If you want to experiment, pick up a fishhawk TD to see how much it changes even just from trolling a different direction. Like others said the speed and currents play a huge role in where it rides, so those numbers are really just starting points.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 1

Yep. I know one great fisherman who clips the board on 3 to 4 feet above the copper and backing connection. That way he can always check for line abrasions at the board hookup spot. Another guy I know hooks on 20 - 30 feet above the copper and backing connection. This way if a hooked fish is getting reeled in and makes a run to one of the inside boards it sees to try and tangle up, the fish is running into the backer and not the copper, which he hopes means that the line with the fish won't break. Although I am not sure what is worse to hit, the copper line itself or the braid backer. I would think hitting braid would be worse because of a thinner diameter and stronger breaking point. It is likely less of a concern with a mono backer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App