Trolling Walleye and Salmon with twin 200's

I have a chance to pick up a 27' center counsel with twin 200's. Can you troll successfully in the Erie and Michigan and get the speed you need.  I am not sure what the idle speed will be, but not 1.5 to 3.0 I bet.  Any best practices that can be suggested.  One engine and a sea anchor???  Other ideas?

I can get 2.7 without bags, 2.2 with small bags running 900 rpm's in a 260 Hp 350, on a 21' glass cuddy.  You should be fine on one motor.  Not sure if you'd have to run one bag to offset the power coming from off the center line of the boat.

Take the boat on a sea trial and see what you get.  Figure out what the idle speed is, and then decide how to dial it in.  My guess is the best bet would be one large trolling bag place on the same side as the running outboard could do it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2020 at 9:46 PM, Roger14 said:

nyone ever used trolling plates on back of outboards,

Check out TrollBuddy.  You can dial in your exact trolling speed.  We currently have a group buy right now: 

Watch the video.  It brought a 23' Sportsman with a Yamaha 250 SHO from 3.2 mph down to 1.1 mph, or anywhere in between.  That's the beauty of it.  Plus, it's much simpler and cleaner than dragging bags off the stern.