Motor wouldn’t start at the dock so my plans were partially ruined.  So I thought.  Used the kicker to get out to 60 fow.  Fished north and then south between 60 and 70.  Lots of bait.  Lots of marks.  Cold water (55 degrees down 50).

Got a 20 lb king on a spin doctor out 120 on a high diver.

Got a 5 lb lake trout on a meat rig out 95 on a low diver.  Fished for about 2 hours.

• Like 5

Motor fired right up once we got back to the dock.  Might be looking at replacing the power pack, the regulator and stator?  I've just about had it with this motor.  Might need to buy a rebuilt one.

Motor wouldn’t start at the dock so my plans were partially ruined.  So I thought.  Used the kicker to get out to 60 fow.  Fished north and then south between 60 and 70.  Lots of bait.  Lots of marks.  Cold water (55 degrees down 50).
Got a 5 lb lake trout on a meat rig out 95 on a low diver.  Fished for about 2 hours.

At least you were rewarded for your efforts. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

At least you were rewarded for your efforts. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

If you have ever had to come in during a small craft advisory that came out of nowhere with your kicker motor on any Great Lake you will remember it Forever. Be safe and Respect the Lake.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Joe D said:

If you have ever had to come in during a small craft advisory that came out of nowhere with your kicker motor on any Great Lake you will remember it Forever. Be safe and Respect the Lake.

If you ever want to feel totally alone and small on Lake Michigan, try being 40 miles from any land with a SW wind at 30 to 40 knots and 15' waves while headed to Chicago on a 35' boat.  That can change your outlook on what safe means.

I agree completely, respect the lake and expect it to not care about you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, georgeb said:

If you ever want to feel totally alone and small on Lake Michigan, try being 40 miles from any land with a SW wind at 30 to 40 knots and 15' waves while headed to Chicago on a 35' boat.  That can change your outlook on what safe means.

I agree completely, respect the lake and expect it to not care about you.

Wow!  How did this end up happening?🤢

Wouldn't have gone out without the stable forecast.  Didn't venture past 70 fow.  That was far enough away.

Been a few times the kicker brought me home.

1 hour ago, jdh said:

Wow!  How did this end up happening?🤢

Wouldn't have gone out without the stable forecast.  Didn't venture past 70 fow.  That was far enough away.

Been a few times the kicker brought me home.

it was a blo-boat delivery to Chicago for a race weekend with 2 others on board.  It was common for us to deliver boats and race in any weather.  The boat was setup for open water racing and we were quite safe, the real problem was both the other delivery crew were seasick and the auto-helm went out so I had to drive down and up the waves for 9 hours without relief.  I have been out is stuff that most people only read about in lake Mi.  I used to be into the thrill ride aspect oi the deliveries and the racing when I was younger.

No matter how well setup the boat is or how experienced the crew bad things can and do happen, that is the risk I was willing to accept.  I have lost friends to the lake so I know how dangerous it is and NEVER underestimate what is possible.

• Like 1