South Haven 5/12 evening and 5/13 morning

Shake down trip for the 2020 season done solo with a fair amount of success....

Started out around 4:00 PM - 7:30 PM  5/12 on some marks from last season in about 95" of water slightly south of the harbor entrance targeting fish marks at 80" down (lakers) and 45' (assumed to be kings).  I continually rotate thru the many rods I have at the ready to hit on the right combo which turned out to be spoons only in orange / blues / greens for the kings and a flasher (all silver metallic) and yellow/green/orange laker rig.  Went 4 for 6 with a 16# king caught on a 10 color, a coho on a UV bloody nose free slider and 2 lakers down around 78" on the rigger laker set up. Speed was tough to judge due to the wind/waves but I try to keep it in the 2.5 range.

Hit the same water around 6:30 AM the next morning setting up initially in about 75" of water and trolling out to the 95" magic mark where i started marking fish and then the bite was on. Went something like 10 for 14 (lakers are unhooked and let go while still in the net and and in the the water so they all swim away ) keeping 4 nice kings, another coho and a laker. Fish seemed to move up higher in the water column as I caught 1 king on a 5 color with mixed veggie spoon, 1 on a high diver set 130' back (see in the image the flasher / spoon rig I picked up in Alaska back 3 years ago...it works!) 1 on SW rig with 2 .5 colors with a bloody nose UV set 30' down and one on a 150' copper set up with Coyote Ugly.  I had 2 occasions where I had 2 fish on one rod with one on the main line and one on the slider.  The 2nd time it was a coho on the fixed slider which promptly wrapped around my high diver. Lots of "deck dancing"! Did manage to land them all. Off the water and headed home by 10:30 AM.

The 5 kings I caught weighed 82# combined! 

Heading to Holland / Port Sheldon next Tuesday / Wed and can't wait!!

IMG_1105 sh big king.jpg

IMG_1131 sh 5 big kings.jpg

IMG_1129 sh fish.jpg

IMG_1116 double laker.jpg

IMG_1103 sh king w flashers.jpg

IMG_1108 sh lowrance.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As a side note...the use of different icons on my lowrance is to differentiate between seasons. I always mark (or try) where I catch fish and also where I have multiple marks. The "fish" icon was this years trip. It's surprising how often a pattern develops. If I find fish I stay on them...best tip I ever got from a charter Capt!

Sent from my iPad using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Like 1