Southern Lake Michigan Salmon

Good morning and I hope everyone is staying safe.  My brother just moved down to the south west corner of the state and I would like to bring the boat over and do some salmon/trout fishing.  When does the fishing really pick up in the St. Joe/Benton Harbor area?  I have never fished that far south for Salmon but it looks like I will have A LOT of free time over the next 30 days and would like to fish (and even keep 6 feet between me and the next boat, HAHAHAHAHA).  Also do guy typically run spoons, meat, flies or something different this time of year?  I have never fished Salmon this early and would like to get the heck out of the house for a weekend and fish.  Especially before the walleye heat up on the east side of the state.  

Again, please stay safe and thanks in advance for some reports!!

Ryan

Right now they are catching some coho close to the beaches from 3 to 20 FOW.   Thin fins on boards, spoons on riggers and divers.   They will move out some when the water warms in coming weeks.   King fishing has been very good the past 2 years for about 10 days around May 10th.   Most of that was from 60 to 120 FOW.   There is a very good offshore fishery in May too for coho's steelhead and lakers from 180 to 240 FOW, that is a long run west.      It is just getting started now, will probably see more reports in April as more guys get their boats out.  One of my friends has a short trip Sat eve and went 6 for 7 on cohos in about 2 hrs of trolling.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Currently according to the Governors Announcement on The Stay at Home initiative you can only fish in a BOAT with those individuals that live in the same house. DNR is already  enforcing this rule at the Ramps in SW Michigan.

I am aware of the new regulations, they are being enforced on the East side of the state where I am as well.  My two boys want to come with me, it would be a day trip.  Looking at heading over for a day next week if possible.  If anyone is going to be out next week let me know and we'll see if we can team up and find some fish.  

On 4/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, Joe D said:

Currently according to the Governors Announcement on The Stay at Home initiative you can only fish in a BOAT with those individuals that live in the same house. DNR is already  enforcing this rule at the Ramps in SW Michigan.

what a bunch of bullshit!

• Like 2

Complete bullshit for sure.  The governor of Michigan has to b worst ever.  If I am on boat with my dad, brother, wife or kids; I can promise everyone here I will not be within 6 feet of your boat other than at the dock.  This shows how stupid she really is.  

• Like 2