Current and dives curves.

Pulled from another board.

When pulling plugs below dams and heavy current areas how much does current affect the dive curve on any given plug?

Thanks Dave

Dave.

The quick answer. Faster deeper. Slower shallower.

I've had many years of experience in all kinds of river currents doing what Drift Boaters call "Pulling Plugs". That is, while using the oars to hold or slip the boat slightly in the current, and letting the current pull the plugs ahead making them dive and work in the current ahead of the boat. A deadly technique for all types of river game fish. And have a little experience doing what would be called "Trolling Plugs" against the current while under power using an outboard.

Not having made a study of each, but having 22+ years of guiding experience doing both pulling/trolling cranks, I know there is no stead fast (feet out to lure down) rule when it comes to plugs and river current. Unless you fish either a very deep river with consistent current speeds, where your lure will never be near any type or barriers, obstacles or bottom. Or a shallower river that has consistently the same depth and current speed with no obstructions of any kind (top or bottom) in that system.

There are just to many current speed variables in any system with Logs, Rocks, Holes, Corners, Bars, Points, Wing dams (and the list goes on) to consistently supply a constant moving liquid force, to reliably/verifiably figure out how deep any given lure will dive in all systems and current types.

In river systems I fish a lot, I've discovered (in the long run) it's best to keep a mental record of how many feet out any given crank you use is, in any given spot. And at what optimum length that was when you had your best luck. Sounds tough, but success is the best teacher and imprints the longest memories. Capt. Dan.