season opener - Holland/Saugatuck

managed 2 kings this AM in the mud off holland/saugatuck (tried both) - fishing was slow as the lake hadn't turned over - still was glad to have scored a couple - i realize this is the time of year where everyone almost goes hush hush on the run - anyone else have a report?

20190907_082312.jpg

• Like 9

Fished Grand Haven today.  Nothing going at the pier heads.  Cold water was pulled all the way up river, so we trolled almost back to the boat launch.  Nothing there either.  55 degrees down 20 ft.

Also ran to 200+ and hit a lake trout in 230 fow.  Good marks out there down 80-120 ft.

Sick of chasing your reports last year  :)as I'm usually the guy making reports and not following them, we hit Grand Haven last night.

It was a little bumpy out front.  Like "awh hell no" bumpy.

Trolled the too warm river because we were there and got a white bass.

Speaking of, in your video from in front of Saugatuck last year, don't you have a planer board out of formation?  Not that I went back and found your reports to see when I needed to start harbor patrol.

Ha - nice Kevin... hands down you are the founding father of fall fishing --- my kids still talk about the guy in the blue 4winns who completely crushed em every time and was actually nice to us and gave us advice :) (remember back then it was the kids and I trying to learn out on the duck boat in Holland channel?) - Anyways, yes fall fishing completely stinks compared to what it used to be and we now have to fish long hard hours often times to even get a couple but it is still kinda fun.  Someone has to try to catch the 200-300 total salmon that run in Ottawa county these days... can't leave em to run up the streams and die and be feasted on by the coons! :) Good reminder and trip down memory lane on those 2018 videos... here are a couple from the treasure chest- the dipsey double off Saug where I dropped my phone and the 23.5er that my son caught in front of Tiara deep inside Mac (this was in that one 18hr period where there was actually fish to be caught) - what isn't in the video is that we fished for 14.5hrs without a bite in sub-55 degree pier water leading up to these...

speaking of the devil... we did go again tonight (9-8) and worked the Saugutuck channel and pierheads... took THE CAT along this time of all things hoping it would serve as a "luck charm" - managed to get 7 sheephead and 2 salmon... good times!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 3

I'd hit the piers if I looked over and saw a cat on a boat.  Mine come running out of the woods as soon as they hear the trailer being backed into the barn.

Top video, about 7-8 seconds in, middle board, starboard side?

Look up the plants for 2018.  I'm already going to be (cough cough) sick a lot in September of 2021.  And probably a little bit next year as well.  Heard of two and already got one jack personally in Holland - those should be last year's plants already coming home.

slow and challenging... lost 2 pigs in saug channel this AM - managed to get this one... everything we hook up last few trips is Male... no eggs... the only "bite spot" in all saug this morn (and trust me we tried everything) was midway thru channel by rock walls... had to have speed so slow was in neutral basically being pushed out by east wind

20190909_123849.jpg

• Like 4

Still chasing.  50 degrees out front not a mark.  Fished the channel and Mac.  Lots of salad / line cleaning.  Three catfish and about a dozen sheep.  Only lost one fish and I'm pretty sure that was a good walleye.  Forecast not promising.

Boy what you described on the plantings sounds too good to be true!  Thanks for the info.  We will pull that up on the iNET tomorrow. When we were coming back into Holland midday today we got a jack in the channel as well so who knows.

Screenshot_20190909-231100_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice, how deep, what were you using? Headed to Muskegon tomorrow

managed 2 kings this AM in the mud off holland/saugatuck (tried both) - fishing was slow as the lake hadn't turned over - still was glad to have scored a couple - i realize this is the time of year where everyone almost goes hush hush on the run - anyone else have a report?
20190907_082312.thumb.jpg.be7cb9a3147c7511e3a7b1054ef08dc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

everything we have gotten so far this fall has been either riggers 8ft down with a size4 jplug 50-120ft back OR smaller size dipsey ringless dialed to 3.5 with a size4 jplug on it running anywhere from 28-40ft of line out

we fish the saug channel mainly but also holland channel and pierheads... we always fish 25fow or shallower

good luck off muskegon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4.5 colors out frog spin doctor of all things 22 fow off saug  south pierhead - what a beast - what a fight - we were due for this! also caught this Pike while trolling out front in the kzoo wash out - 8ft down on rigger green ladder jplug got em

Screenshot_20190919-200231_Gallery.jpg

20190919_190502.jpg

• Like 4

You're killing me.  I'm not even looking at the forecast and buoy any more.  Given up until the lake unflips and I can troll 10' for trout slams, which is usually early November.  In full out bird mode now - scouted for the youth hunt yesterday and saw 7 ducks, but 5 of them were chip shots...

• 2 weeks later...

decided to run out of Mac and down to Saugatuck to run the mud one last time... while setting lines in the sideways pouring rain hard east wind had a high line orange board get buried in 26fow off saug north pier... big ole male my daughter hauled in... last one of the year for us... actually probably our biggest too, for sure our longest... will weigh it back at the dock in Holland 

Screenshot_20190929-090144_Video Player.jpg

• Like 5

41 inches

29.5 pounds

This ones going on the wall -- way to go kids!!!

I almost filleted it but my son was smart enough to grab a tape and scale... apparently all the FL shark fishing has made me desensitized to trophies :)

Congrats to my daughter and her Master Angler Chinook! 

29 pounder on September 29

Screenshot_20190929-124008_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-124026_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-124059_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

my son was given the shirt when he won the kollen park catfish tourney this summer 1st place got him 670 in cash + the cool tshirt... if you are serious and want a shirt, then ask the nice guys at Powderhorn bait shop on River Ave

2ndAnnualSheepheadersFishClassicLOGO.jpg

• Like 1