Caznik's Worse Day Ever

caznik

Well I must say this is going to be the most worse day ever for me. Tonight I have to take my best hunting buddy down to the vet and put her to sleep. Her name is Maggie and she is my Short Hair hunting dog. Lets see about 13 years ago my wife found a dog at the dog pound and she told me it was a hunting dog. So I went down there and checked her out and really liked her so I got her. I took her to obediance class and trained her to the best that I could. She loved to go duck hunting, phesant hunting, and even rabbit hunting. This dog has been allways by my side everyday and just love to go for rides in my truck. I am going to miss her alot and its going to be really hard for me for awhile. Last night I took her for a walk in the woods for the last time and she loved it. But just allways kept on tripping and just couldnt get back up. So I ended on carrying her all the way home. Well hopfully this stupid pain will not last me forever so I can get out and start fishing. Well I hope you all have a chance to get out and try some fishing this weekend. The weather really sucks this year.

Caznik

sorry to here about your loss rich i now what its all about i had to do that with a pair of beagles i had a few years back ,i had them for 13 years and the both got canser about the same time and there was nothing that could be done

the sad thing is that i never got one after them and that was the last good rabbet hunting year that i had

Sorry to hear it Caz i know what your going through, i just had to put my best

"buddy" down after 16yrs. It's like losing one of the family. And another one

will never replace the one you lost. But sometimes it's better for the animal,

no matter how we want it to be....Keep your "chin" up man.

Sorry to hear about your loss Caznik. I'm going to be in the same boat in a few days, as I'll be taking my best buddy and bird-dog Jessie to the vet's for the same thing. She's been with us for 17 years....I'm not sure I remember what life was like without her.

Hey Caz,

I went through the same thing, I had a yellow lab. His name was Spike, not a hunting dog just a great family pet. He ended up with cancer in his head and me and the wife had to play god with his life. It Sucked.. He got to the point one day he just stood up all day and would not lie down, eat or anything, and had a big tumor on his head by his right eye. This was 3 years ago, and I still think about that knuckle head :D I still have him as my desktop image at work..You might think this is strange but his ashes are on my mantle in the living room too.. It's not easy there part of the family.. Hang in there! Great memories will be burned into your hard drive forever.

We send our sympathy to the Caz Family,

Mary and Ray

Oh boy. You really hit a spot. I have a springer that fits this picture. Words cannot describe the pain of the loss but the good memories will never leave you. They will always be available to tap into to brighten your day for a moment or to pass along a cherished story to a child or friend. A new puppy would be on my mind.

I had my childhood dog shot by a tresspasser when I was 17. It was aweful

Oh man, sounds horrid.......

I lost my purebread Rott last year to a car.

Car's and dogs never mix. Duke was the man. He used to chase rabbits in my yard and would never put up a chase for more then about 20 yds and figure out he was too fat to catch 'em. Well last year (he was 8), he put up the chase for about 40yds and caught the rabbit, bad part was he was on the 55mph road I live on when he caught it. Killed them both. I raised him from a pup, brought him home in a shoe box.

I feel for ya's Rich and all who have lost their "Duke"!

T

Sorry for your loss Rich. I had to do the same thing about 4 years ago. I thought I would never want to go through that pain again. But they bring us so much joy I think it is worth the pain. You know if you didn't love them so much it wouldn't hurt so much. I got another dog (lab) about a year ago.

TT

Caz.

The pain you feel is far from stupid. My hunting dog Otter is 9 and is laying by my side as I type this. We've shared a lot of good times and I suspect we'll share a few more before his time is up. What other living things in our lives totally accept us as we are and continually strive to please us. In My faith it's taught that dogs have no souls and are not accepted into heaven. I can only believe then that God never had a dog. :(

Hey all,

Just want to say thank you all who has replied to this. I am still not feeling good at all and hate coming home. I hate coming home because she allways met me at he door and now I know that she is not going to be there anymore. The last day I had with her I did everything that I could with her. I got home from work and started making her the best breakfast she ever had. I took out a package of my venison steaks and fixed them with two eggs and one piece of toast. Well she never thought that all that I made was for her only. She just sat down and was watching me all the time. I put everthing on a dish and cut it all up. Then I went to her dish and picked it up and threw all her dog food away. It was kinda funny because her ears stood right up and probly was thinking what the heck is he doing with my food. Well then I took all the steaks and eggs and put it in her dish. Man she was going nuts and was going around in a circle. I bent down to give her all the food and kneeled down and pet her while she ate it all. She sure loved that breakfast. Then we went to sleep for the rest of the morning. It was five o clock when I was suppose to take her to the vet. I just couldn't sleep, so I took her out in the woods and just walked around. Well it was about that time to go and man I was not feeling good at all. I had friends come over to help me out and told me that they would take her to the vet. Well I sat down and told them all that she stood by my side everytime when I had a bad day and good ones. I told them all that I should be the one to take her and be by her side when she gos. I went to the vet and the vet is really a nice person. She took Maggie and my wife and I in a small room to be alone. I sat in a chair and put out a blanket for her. The vet came in and told me how it was going to go like. She gave her one shot and then Maggie just was walking around. I sat on the floor and called her to sit with me and she did. I was talking to her the whole time, then suddenly she started getting sleepy. I let her lay down and put her head on my lap petting her head and still talking to her. She really was getting tierd and then I took her collar off. She then notice I took her collar off and she raised her head really slow looking at me thinking I was taking her out duck hunting. I allways took her collar off going duck hunting so she wouldnt get caught up in the weeds. I just knew what she was thinking and told her we was not going duck hunting today. She then slowly lowered her head and went to sleep. I kept on petting her thinking how much I hate doing what I am doing here now. The vet came back in and told me that this second shot will put her away for good. She gave her the shot and Maggie took three deep breaths and she was gone. I went nuts and was sick. The vet told me to stay as long as I wanted. I stayed there for two hours and just kept on petting her wondering what she could be doing now. The vet came back in and was helping me out really nice. I finally got up and started walking to the door and turned around to see her the last time. It was so hard because that was the first time she never got up to go where I was going. I sure hope that this gos away really soon. I cannot sleep and its hard to go to work. Going home is the worse......:(

Hope the weather gets better so I can get out and fish to get this off my mind.

See you all soon,

Rich

I had to do that a couple of years ago with my 15 year old lab. Went through basicly all the same things you are going through now. Crying like a baby when I did it, reaching down to pet a dog that was not there for days. You did the right thing doing it your self.

All I can say is look at what a great life that "pound dog" ended up with, right up until the last day.

I waited a year before I bought a pup. She is smarter, better behaved and an infinitely better hunter, but I still miss the old guy.

Good luck.