Wire diver rods

I run a low diver on a 7 ft Talora and a High on a 9 ft Talora.  Seems to work for me.  I've been on other boats where running 9 and 10 ft rods worked too.  Just need a little practice to avoid tangles when setting/resetting.

Usually, only when fishing by myself or with an experienced person. Also, water current plays a bigger factor on my small boat as to whether I run them. High divers account for most of the tangles as you know but as long as you are careful about how you deploy it really shouldn't matter the length of rod. The charter I work with on occasion use the same length Talora roller guide rods for both highs and lows and generally bounce bottom with both. 

My high divers are braid. 10' poles. Biggest reason for wire is they get deep better. No need to run them high. There is a theory of the electrical benefits from the wire attacking fish, but I am not aware of any scientific studies proving that. There is a lot of negatives with wire setups and if there is no need to go deep, why introduce the negatives into your spread? For negatives - (1) there is zero stretch in the wire (same can be said for braid), (2) wire can get stuck in the rollers which is a big problem with a big, head-banging king, (3) if the wire is down, a fish at the boat can run into them and easily cut the line. Those last two have happened to me this year. There is no way I would run 4 wire rods.

The high diver being the longer rod with the shorter wire diver rod on the inside is good practice though.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App