Port Sheldon 10am-2pm, 7-12

1 for 2 with a 9.5# steelhead (very unusual looking). Caught on a 6C with a lemonberry mag spoon, in 144fow at 10:48am, west troll, 2.3 sog.  loss other in 155fow. I had a rod with SD and fly fall out of my rod holder while I was double handling everything. I thought it was lost for sure. 2 hrs later when I pulled up my DR there it was hanging by the fly hook on the cable. I pulled it all in and saved everything.1374603560_2019-07-1217_02_15.thumb.jpeg.9c90b2b532c501adeef8ba0aa55c1dac.jpeg215345843_2019-07-1217_01_35.thumb.jpeg.d74599bc7e6f4398a53b61f51a855333.jpeg33631342_2019-07-1217_01_17.thumb.jpeg.4e0118931433445da9e30778239e7f75.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I suspect these nose injuries happen when they are very small fish. If I see my friend in the Dnr I will show him your picture. I am happy to hear someone got another steelhead in the 140s. For a week and a half they seemed to be missing. I have only dropped one rod in the lake and pulled it back in the boat with another. It is a great feeling isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I suspect these nose injuries happen when they are very small fish. If I see my friend in the Dnr I will show him your picture. I am happy to hear someone got another steelhead in the 140s. For a week and a half they seemed to be missing. I have only dropped one rod in the lake and pulled it back in the boat with another. It is a great feeling isn’t it? 

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I was extremely happy getting that rod and lure setup back. I was already calculating what the loss cost me $$$ and had resigned myself to the fact sh*t happens. 

When it came time to pull up my rigger I was in disbelief (jumped about 3 ft in the air) when I saw the green fly treble hanging on to the rigger cable just above the release. The rod had not released its line during this whole episode. I carefully inched the cable up and grabbed the connection at the SD and rod tip, doing a hand over hand vertical lift until I got the rod out of the water. It was probably a good thing that no fish took the bait during that whole time.

I did send the pictures to the dnr office listed on their fishery division with my cell number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App