Terminating Riggers

OK Folks,

I was able get a new set of riggers for my boat and they will support up to 20 lb weights. I run a fish hawk and am a little more freaked out as I am stepping up to heavier weights. What is the best way to terminate as I would hate to loose the probe but do understand that stuff does happen. I am trying to be proactive and do this the right way. Currently using cannon terminations. Have used crimps but I feel it messes with the cables true strength. I am prepared to get what it takes to do this right. 

Thanks to all who reply.

Grizzly.

I use the “Klincher Downrigger Termination Kit”. I use 15lb balls and a Fish Hawk as well. I will be moving up to 20lb balls and I have no confidence issues with the Klincher.

Seems to be very solid. Take your time getting it attached and you will know when you did it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 19 pound shark cannonballs. I run the standard cannon downrigger terminal kit. I also include a rubber shock absorber link (like a big snubber or two) above my weight. This makes the starting and stopping a little more forgiving on your gear, especially if you have fast riggers.

By the way, my cannon repair guy says don't believe the 20 pound rating. Technically it can pull that weight, bit you will ultimately burn up your motor doing it. I offer a little manual assistance when my riggers pull up my heavy weights.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Well that kind of sucks I got 18 lb weights. I hope I dont kill them. The riggers have a soft stop and start built in. Very happy so far cannon 5s is what I got. My daughter will be using them mostly.

Just burned up a motor pulling too much weight. But, that might have happened after the cannonballs crossed and one rigger pulled up both cannonnalls. I can't remember...it was a couple of years ago. I am getting old. That was the only issue. I just remembered the comment he made and wanted to share it. It was the cannon service center in Muskegon.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App