Another skunk.
Fished 65-100’, lost nice laker near the boat.
Marked a lot of lakers in 77’ and some other marks half way up.
Some decent bait balls also.
Bounched bottom for a long tine with 2 riggers and couldn’t get even a few more lakers to hit.
Think most of the kings didn’t stay long in SoHa.
After a few trips to Erie, next trip will probably be Holland.
Smooth drags and calm seas!
Capt Dan

• Like 1

We hit SoHa today. Disappointing for us as well. Lost nice fish first thing then dragged around a very small king for a while. Trolled in and out of 90' to 120' all morning  southwest of the pier head.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dalevan said:

We fished Holland hard yesterday morning and came up empty. 1 hit at 6:45 and after that nothing. I am wondering if the Kings have moved farther north.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

See Salmon Snipers post from today. He fished the same area, same depth as we did yesterday and went 7-8 with some of the same presentations we had including the same moonshine spoon on a 300 Cu that took 3 fish for them and nothing for us.  

So what's different?  We got our lines in between 7:30 - 8:00 and lost a nice fish almost immediately. He set lines just before 6:00 and had slow but steady fishing until 8:30 and never had a hit after that. With all baitfish out there the salmon could just full and the key is just getting out early.

When we fished Pentwater on Thursday, we were 8 for 9 by 7 am. It slowed down after that. You might be right...with all the bait around it is a feeding frenzy as soon as they can see well enough to hunt. If you get out there after they have feasted and stuffed themselves for two or three hours, it makes sense they might not hit as aggressively. Back when there was less bait (think 2015), I think they were constantly hunting. That might not be the case anymore. I wonder what a biologist would say.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Yep, Crazy.

I’m a min of 2 hrs to St Joe or SoHa and a little longer to Holland, GH, and Muskegon. And, some mates are 1/2hr from my house.

So even if we leave at 0500 we don’t set lines until 7:30 or 8.

But, in St Joe it didn’t matter; the bait fish weren’t  thick yet, and kings were on the hunt all day.

Monroe Brest Bay Erie walleye Tuesday ( 1 1/2hrs only from Jackson), week in Co to visit oldest son n his family and back to Erie for crew that won a fishing trip on my boat during a charity auction.

Then salmon 1st week in July.

SoHa? Maybe Holland or

2 hours ago, Mega Byte said:

When we fished Pentwater on Thursday, we were 8 for 9 by 7 am. It slowed down after that. You might be right...with all the bait around it is a feeding frenzy as soon as they can see well enough to hunt. If you get out there after they have feasted and stuffed themselves for two or three hours, it makes sense they might not hit as aggressively. Back when there was less bait (think 2015), I think they were constantly hunting. That might not be the case anymore. I wonder what a biologist would say.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I'm going to give it another try and get out early the next chance when we can go and see what happens. Like Dan, then it's on to Erie for walleye. 

• Like 1