Sam's Pro Release

Does anyone use a Sam's Pro Release on their planner boards and actually like them? I love the concept, but find the actual execution lacking.

I find the fish more easily pull the board under water, so you are still fighting the board.

Just wondering if anyone is using them in a way they really like.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I used them last year on church tx-44 boards.  I have the stainless pin in the back so I just tie a loop in my braid and clip it in there.  There were no issues fighting fish.  Tried them on the regular size offshores this year and they worked fine.  They are the only release I have found that can actually hold onto braid without sliding.

I've got the same TX-44 board, but I have an OR16 clip attached to the end.  I played around with having the pull of the copper line and bait pull from the clip (so pull the board backward) or pull from the arm.  It seemed to plane better when it was pulling from the arm.  This was controlled simply by how I clipped the OR16 onto the line.

Do your boards get pulled under water when they release?  That's really my biggest complaint with them.  We had one board that was underwater for over 5 minutes.  You notice a huge difference once you get the board above water.  It just seems like it would work a lot better if the board was able to free-slide to the surface, but yet not go down far enough to hit the bait.  I've had boards pulled under with the regular Church board clips too, but they didn't seem to stay under as long.  My theory is it's easier for the fish the pull the board under water once it has released. 

Maybe I just need to put more time into it and get a better sample size.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used the Sams for the last two seasons and generally they have worked  fine. I have noticed a few dive issues but  nothing to the point of annoyance. The bigger problem is remembering how to wrap the braid to get the proper release. The wrap issue for me is by far the bigger issue...

Edited by VitreusVirtues
Accidental post

• 2 weeks later...

I just started using one. When you clip the line to the or16 on the back of the board put a little slack between it and the Sam's.
As of right now they are working. But I think it's a pain the wrap the line around the rubber nipple.
I have used it for walleye mostly and using copper once with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App