Monofilament

8 hours ago, Copilottruman said:

Fish about 10 times per year. My Trilene Big Game Lasted 3 years with no break offs. For $33 bucks you can get a big spool of 20lb. It’s strong, flexible, and knot friendly. Use it as backer as well. Great bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Agree for the money on a fun fishing boat cant beat It. 

• Like 1

Do you run the Flea Flicker 30 lb bye bloodrun. I used it for the first time last season and I didn't have any brake offs or failures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I'm on my 3rd season trolling on lake Michigan and Huron for Salmon and I'm
Trying too find out what the guy's who been in the game for a while have too say

I’ve been fishing for 10 years. I wouldn’t over think this. 20lb is the standard and big game is a great choice. The bigger lines like blood run flea flicker is if you’re getting a lot of fleas as it’s designed to be thicker and has a coating on it. The problem is the thicker you go the less action you get. Hence why dan keating uses 12lb stealth set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Caught my first king in 1979 and have been running a boat since the late 80's before I had a driver's license.  Back when you had to register your VHF and have a call sign to begin a transmission.

20# Big Game on my rigger rods, except my bottom pounding for lakers / meat rig rods.  Those are 50# braid with a 25' top shot of 30# Ande.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FBD said:

Back when you had to register your VHF and have a call sign to begin a transmission.

WSA5561 something I'll never forget.

I have half big game and half bloodrun. Both are excelling with the blood run mono backing leading a little.(hi-vis color has not faded). no failures.

Back when you had to register your VHF and have a call sign to begin a transmission.

WSU6703 Seahorse back in the day.

Fish are getting bigger the last couple of years. Many 30+ pounders taken last year. Some guys I know upgraded from 20# to 25# or 30# mono. I went from 20 to 25. It can be helpful if you have rookies on board who may horse them a bit or try to adjust the drag.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

14 hours ago, Cadilac Grills said:

Do you run the Flea Flicker 30 lb bye bloodrun. I used it for the first time last season and I didn't have any brake offs or failures.

I am using the bloodrun tournament mono, not the flea flicker.  One reason I like bloodrun is that is has a thinner diameter than many of the other mono lines I have seen at that weight.  Thinner line means less belly between the rod and release on the riggers. 

• 1 month later...