125 maintenance

Purchased a 2005 mercury 125 saltwater (2+2) last year. Ran it fine a couple times last year no issues. However this year since I have no real history on the engine I’d like to replace “everything” for some peace of mind. So my question to you guys. Besides fuel filter, water pump, thermostat, plugs. What would you guys replace on this engine if you didn’t have hours or history on it. Compression on the cylinders are all well within spec. I’d like to clean all the carbs out and possibly re sync them but I’m not sure how hard that would be. Local mechanic said this type of work would be an easy grand. No thanks. Or if you have a reasonable mechanic in west Michigan that’d be another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I have the same engine. Fuel filter, lower unit oil, impeller pump, plugs. Once that’s all changed and it runs good leave it alone. That’s my maintenance schedule and mine runs great every year. Had mine 9 years now and only thing I had to fix was a 175$ coil. Good luck. 

• Like 1

On the impeller be sure to replace the base for plate. The plate sometimes will wear befor the rubber pump does. Especially if it ever gets sand or debris in it. I have had one fail just from a worn base plate. Be sure to clean any rubber streaks with brake cleaner befor reassembling. Grease fins up and you should be all set. Just get the whole kit and you should be worry free. That price seems a bit high. I only have replaced the feul filter that's visible on the side of the engine.

• Like 1