Michigan City Coho

Guys I am new to forum.  I guess I won't get my boat in for a week or two (ice).   I need educated in the following areas....

I anticipate trolling inside the break wall of Michigan City guessing there are plenty of fish there.  I don't know what speed to start at.  What are my best options if I show up for some shore fishing this week or next?  

The harbor has been packed with ice lately. It looks better today on the web came but dependent on the wind, it can blow back in and clog it up. I never start trolling when the ice bergs are out. Many years ago pier fishing, I saw a boat get blocked from returning to a harbor when ice blew back in, they busted a prop trying to power through it, disabled their boat, got caught in the ice flows and dragged south. The Coast Guard helicopter arrived, dropped a basket and pulled up each angler to rescue them and they lost their boat and all their gear. Talked to a salvage tug crew 2 days later who attempted to find it and they couldn’t.

Water temp is real cold for trolling and I don’t have experience doing so when this cold. I guess speeds from 1.5 to 2.5 mph. When it is this cold, I prefer steelie skein fished on the bottom off the pier or shore. The guys at Michigan City really like shrimp and squid fished under a slip bobber on small jigs and they get them that way too.

Speed - stay less than 2.5. Generally, 2.2 is a good starting point. Don't overthink it - we are talking tenths of a mph. Ice is gone and the wind is going to blow a million mph the next couple days. I don't think we'll see it again down here. Don't overlook ports farther west. Sometimes better fishing (frequently) and also more wind protection - especially at East Chicago and Hammond. 

Thank you.  The reason I refer to MC is because I am somewhat familiar with if from shore fishing years ago and it is only an hour away.  My craft is 18 so I don't anticipate heading out in any kind of wind.  Any more advice I appreciate.  I am new and learning.  

I'm not dissing MC but there's not much "protected" area to fish there. I've fished it many times. Much more protection from evil spring winds farther west at Portage and even more at East Chicago and Hammond. If you are coming from the east, like from South Bend, it's about 20 miles farther to Portage than MC. The Lake County marinas are about 15 miles farther.  From points south, say up I-65 Portage and EC are actually closer than Michigan City. 

At Portage, the Port of Indiana sticks out into the lake almost a mile. It's to the east of the mouth of Burns Ditch. Makes a great windbreak for East and Southeast winds. At EC you can fish on anything from north, NW, W, SW, straight south and pretty well on a SE wind. E and NE are the worst. At Hammond, you can fish all but E and Southeast, but you may have to bounce across some waves to get to the calm water provided by the Calumet Harbor breakwall. 

• 2 weeks later...