Braid to fluorocarbon

Well I tried the FG knot. But as you can see it's not nice and straight. Do you know what i could have done wrong?20190227_125102.thumb.jpeg.269d7991c94787e3d36579a7ee8b10f6.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

It looks like you may not have had enough tension on the line to keep all the wraps tight. Watch this video if you haven’t seen it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like you may not have had enough tension on the line to keep all the wraps tight. Watch this video if you haven’t seen it already.
[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the video I watched. Maybe I just don't have good dexterity. I think the bump in the knot happened when I did a wrap and the fluorocarbon didn't pull straight right away and might have caused a kink or bend. Maybe I need to keep the fluorocarbon tight also.

I sometimes use the double uni and have had no unexplained failures. I also use a swivel sometimes. No unexplained failures with it, either. I tie a fluorocarbon knot on the F-carbon side and a double palomar on the other. 

I love knot and want to learn the FG knot. Interesting, I was in Florida and our guide said he always used the FG to attach his f-carbon leader. "Never fails," he said. The next jack cravalle I hooked broke off at the braid to leader knot. Hmmmm

Probably one of those "don't fix what isn't broke" scenarios. Since I've not had problems with the uni/uni connection, I should probably just stick with it. I think the FG is mostly for casting situations where the "bump" the knot makes in the line is the issue more than the strength of the knot being inferior.  

• Like 1

When I'm doing the double uni, I do 7 or 8 wraps through the loop with the braided line. Five wraps for the mono or fluoro. I don't think additional wraps hurts or weakens the line. On the mono, additional wraps don't strengthen it, either. 7 or 8 wraps might insure the knot not slipping. 

Back to back uni knots on all my cores.  Some have several as I step the leaders down from 20# mono to 10# FC.  Never had one fail.  I have (4) one colors, (2) two colors, a 4 color, 6 color, 8 color, and two full cores.

Good advice on the extra loops for the braid.  Make sure to keep the FC moist as you snug it up.

Snagged one on the bottom last year and had the gears in the reel strip out, but the knots held.  Not sure if I won that one...

Back to back uni knots on all my cores.  Some have several as I step the leaders down from 20# mono to 10# FC.  Never had one fail.  I have (4) one colors, (2) two colors, a 4 color, 6 color, 8 color, and two full cores.
Good advice on the extra loops for the braid.  Make sure to keep the FC moist as you snug it up.
Snagged one on the bottom last year and had the gears in the reel strip out, but the knots held.  Not sure if I won that one...
Why are you not using the Willis knot for leadcore to fluorocarbon? I ended up using the fg knot for braid to fluorocarbon.

Albright knot?  What, doubling back the mono or fluorocarbon and then doing the wraps around the doubled line with the braid?  I use the albright to connect a leader to copper line and in a couple of saltwater applications. I certainly believe it's imprudent to change what's working (don't fix what isn't broke.) Still, the FG knot is similar in function to the albright knot, but would absolutely be thinner and assertedly as strong or stronger.  

• 3 months later...

The FG knot is hard to make for me.

The double uni raises a question- how many wraps- some videos say 7 - some 8 - and then I read -

Double Uni Knot Tying Instructions. Repeat with the end of the line on the left making the same number of wraps unless tying with braided line in which you should double the number of wraps.

What number works best?

Edited by CJ428
Improve

On the double uni knot - I tried 7 wraps on the mono and 11 wraps on the braid - tested with a pull scale and found it perfect (no knot slip at full line load).  Thanks  jdh

• 3 months later...

A couple summers ago when I first started using braid I got some 15lb power pro and tied on a 15lb fluoro leader with a double uni knot. I was fishing a Senko and a 26lb flathead grabbed hold of it. That fish fought like it was a whale, but the knot held up without any issues. I was pretty impressed.