First Leadcore Ever.

I just finished spooling up two MA45DX reels with my first leadcore ever. I set up a 2 color SWR on a 8 ft downrigger rod, and a 8 color with a 6-1/2 foot Okuma medium action rod. I used 150 yds of 30# Spider Wire Braid as backer for the 8 color and 25# Ande as backer for the 2 color. Both have 50 ft leaders. I used the overhand knot, and stuff the mono or braid into the leadcore shield, to make the splices. I don't think I could make these splices on the boat. I may expand the use of that 2 color rig, this Spring for Walleye off the boards.

Cazz's thread on SWRs got me thinking about leadcore. I got a lot of good advice from some of the GR8 Charter Captains and GR8 members willing to share. TY all VM. I have an extra 10 colors of core in case I need to replaces some that gets cut off.:lol: If it goes well for me I may just spool up another reel. Three rods dedicated to core will probably be my limit. I think core will be like Dipsys, you either love it or hate it.:lol: Just for the record, "you know I'm a Dipsy man".:)

When that 8 color starts bangin em, you'll add more dedicated rods for sure. I love catching fish on Dipseys and Riggers, but lead core (and copper) catch bunches of fish when other methods are slow. It just sucks to bring in fish on!:P Or to bring it up at the end of the day or to change lures.:P

I just finished spooling up two MA45DX reels with my first leadcore ever. I set up a 2 color SWR on a 8 ft downrigger rod, and a 8 color with a 6-1/2 foot Okuma medium action rod. I used 150 yds of 30# Spider Wire Braid as backer for the 8 color and 25# Ande as backer for the 2 color. Both have 50 ft leaders. I used the overhand knot, and stuff the mono or braid into the leadcore shield, to make the splices. I don't think I could make these splices on the boat. I may expand the use of that 2 color rig, this Spring for Walleye off the boards.

Cazz's thread on SWRs got me thinking about leadcore. I got a lot of good advice from some of the GR8 Charter Captains and GR8 members willing to share. TY all VM. I have an extra 10 colors of core in case I need to replaces some that gets cut off.:lol: If it goes well for me I may just spool up another reel. Three rods dedicated to core will probably be my limit. I think core will be like Dipsys, you either love it or hate it.:lol: Just for the record, "you know I'm a Dipsy man".:)

Well were both in the same boat this yr Frank this will be my first summer for core.I always had it on board but never had to use it, and for me i will not reel it in with a fish on, i'll leave that to the young folk:grin: Plus i have a few secret weapons this yr i'll hook up with you and give you a rig to try.... Tight lines and Bent Rods

Rig up a couple swr's for walleye, works great. We just change our leaders to lighter line for the walleye. If using inline boards, we use speed beads to keep away from core.

You will be amazed at the amount of fish that will hit an swr when you are setting lines. It's awsome when a salmon hits that line, as you are connecting to the cannon ball.