Trolling Setups - before I buy questions

Hello Pro’s. I have a 2018 Lund Tyee with the 42 degree Sport Track system.

Last spring/summer I trolled with cheap plastic rod holders for dipsies and leadcore. I had a ball. My wife had a ball. We actually found something that we both enjoy and we were getting pretty good at.

I have saved all winter for downriggers and rod holders to make trolling and rid management easier and make the bot a little more professional looking.

I am ready to make a huge purchase but wanted to voice my concerns and see if you guys will guide me in the right direction.

My gut feeling and current path forward is to buy Big Jon Pro Pro Tournaments affixed to the Lund Sport Track downrigger plate. The silver finish and the autostop are the sell points for me. This will also give me the ability to move the downriggers up and back, and remove them on overnighters. I have seen zero reports of the Lund Sport Track not providing solid support. Let me know if I am making a mistake.

My second purchase is Big Jon vertical rod trees (the three rod holder) on the Lund Sport Track downriggers plate. The one hand operation is the sell point here. My concern is...Do you guys run dipsies on these vertical rod holders? I am kind of worried about the strength of the tree especially at the top. Seems like my dipsies are beastly pressure.

My other purchase is to by the TX-44 Church Magnum Planer boards for dipsies. Do you guys use planer board with dipsies? I like the big boards for lead core, but never used them for Dipsy divers because I thought the diver would just pull the board under or the board would just come off.

Thats quite a lot to digest, all responses appreciated. Target date for purchase is 5 March for all the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't run dipsys off the trees.   Typically you want your dipsy rod tips closer to the water.  I use the trees for my planer board lines.  I use the TX-44 for my 200 coppers and up.  For something smaller than that you can use a smaller planer board.  You can run dipsys off a large planer board, but I'm not sure what the point of that is.  The purpose of the board is to get the bait away from the boat.  The dipsy does that anyway.  I suppose you could set the dipsy on a zero setting so it doesn't dive to the side and run it behind a board to get your bait down (as opposed to using copper or lead core), but I would be afraid of what might happen if you get into some unique underwater currents.  It may cause some tangles.  I suppose you could do that, but I never have.  (Doesn't mean it won't work though.)  I haven't used the Big Jon gear so I can't comment on that.  You can also consider https://www.traxstech.com/, but by the sounds of it, the Lund Sport Track is pretty similar.  What a fun project you are starting on!

Thanks Mega Byte. Yep, the consensus is no dipsies under planers. It felt odd to me when I read about that, but the product description for the magnum sized planer board includes dipsies. They must be talking about the little divers.

Understand the utility of the trees now. Glad I asked the question. Again, it felt odd...so I thought (and I was right) that dipsies and trees are not so good. (Height and strain)

Yes, this is quite a “build out” for the new boat. If it wasn’t such a rush bringing in those silver fish (lakers included), I would just go with what I have. But trolling has really been much more fun than I expected and my wife is hooked as well. So, I feel good about blowing cash on this. Got a nice tax return due to the increase in the standard deduction, so that encouraged me to start closing loose ends on my questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a Lund 1750 rebel with the same sport track. My advice is to look into a track system such as Cisco or traxstech. I ran traxstech tracks and vert tree last year, and just bought berts ratecheting holders this winter for my dipsys. I run my riggers, which are walkers, off my tracks in a traxstech swivel base. The nice part of the track system is I can move things around to suit my needs. Also, adding new holders doesn’t require the purchase of new bases. My first season for salmon was last year and I learned a lot. Mainly, dipsy rods put a ton of strain on the trees. I did a lot of research prior to setting up my rig and what I found was most people prefer to run a track vs mounting directly to the sport track itself. Hope this helps and good luck.  

Thanks Mfitz. You are on the side of going with tracks and I may do that after I use what I already have and what the boat came with.

I am going to begin this setup using the Lund sport track. The Cisco mounts (that I have already) for a single tube holder will work for a triple tree (horizontal) rod holders, and the Lund downrigger mounts will work for the downriggers.

If I feel like I want to drill holes and use tracks for more support, Traxtech, Berts, and Cisco will all be price competed (of course).

I have a meeting with Big Jon HQ this week to discuss my plan and purchase from them if they will get close to other internet prices.

You should look at Great Lakes Holders for your divers.   They are best for divers because they lock in the down the position but you can always pull the holder up and in when a fish hits.   This makes it easier to get the rod out of the holder, especially when it's a big king and you don't have to extend way out from the gunnel to get it.  They are extremely durable and your diver holders take more stress than any other rod holder.

http://www.greatlakesholders.com/

Thanks EdB. Their website is scant on details and no you tube videos on GLH at all.

I see a lever on their rod holder, (revolving banner pic on their homepage)which tells me these rod holders are not a “one handed” operation. Prices are even more than the Traxtech holders (the most expensive).

I gave them a look, but I’ll pass. Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have triple trees. Custom made, welded construction, ss pipe.  (Retired pipefitter style) I only run one set of divers, one each side.   My trees are mounted further to the stern than most.  I use the bottom holder for wire divers.  Works for me.  

I went with Scottie riggers.  I like the free fall out, control the speed with a brake.  Some like the speed, I did not like the down motor of my Big Jons.  It seemed like every month or so the cable would bind and start to raise the ball as it wound on backwards.  A dandy big kink in the cable.  Maybe a 15 pound weight would have prevented that.

Thanks Youp. I am headed to the Grand Rapids Sport Show next weekend to meet the Magnum Metalz guys...so yes, I am being researched to death and the lure of many downriggers have come and gone.

Will keep you posted on what I end up with- pics will come as well.

Magnum Metalz look good but very expensive. I ran Cannons for 25 years with a variety troubles. Switched to Scotties in 2013.  No troubles no regrets. My HO.

Thanks Mike. I priced all. For the “aluminum/stainless” downriggers (Big Jon, MM, Ciscoes, and Traxtech) and when I list out comparable functions (autostop, motor speed/size, and cable length (300’), and two multi-axis rod holders, Magnum Metalz scored higher in features and price.

Cisco and Traxtech were more expensive, but have added features that were not important to me (programmable keypad, jigging action).

The Cannons and Scotties were definitely the most common and the most recommended as well.

This weekend is the big dollar spillage for me after I see the gear at the Sport show.

• 4 weeks later...

Update fellas: I went with Fish On Vertical Rod trees (triple tubes with net holder at the top)

For Downriggers I went with the Magnum Metalz 2500 (2-rod holder). The MM’s key features for me were the autostop clutch, the 200 FPM motor, the 300’ of cable and the swivel base. The price for this was way cheaper than comparables (BJ, Cannon, Scott and the gold plated Traxtechs).

Now for the bad part. Mfitz was right. The Lund Sport Track Downrigger Mounts will not work. A lot of slop. Photo attached.

I have a video, which is better than the photo, but now way to upload it.

I have already ordered 4’ track systems for each side and am emotionally prepared to drill holes in my brand new boat. Hard to say that. IMG_0421.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is what I finally ended up with after a couple iterations of trial and error...

Magnum Metalz 2500 series Downriggers.

Big Jon Tracks and Dipsy Rod holders

Fish On Triple Rod Tree with Net Holder.

After much installation and testing on the water and bumpy dirt roads, this was the “heaviest dutiest” setup I could come up with (both solid to the gunnel, and solid in its own design). I was balancing price versus quality.

IMG_0432.jpgIMG_0433.jpgIMG_0434.jpgIMG_0435.jpgIMG_0436.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Mega Byte, not sure why you would put a dipsey on a board and not sure a board could handle the force. Dipsey holder should be parralell to the water. I don't have them, but the holders you can ratchet up before you remove remove the dipsey rod are awesome.

Rod trees are the greatest invention  since sliced bread. For up to 300' of copper and full core I use standard Off Shore boards. They track just fine.

My friend even uses the Church walleye board  for up to 300 copper and full core n they surprisingly track well; he did move the weight all the way back though.

Your setup looks real good. Enjoy!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No one seemed to mentioned what style of weights to use on these beautiful downriggers.  FYI, I have them available in sizes 6#, 8#, 10# 12#  at excellent prices.  All are coated with eco-friendly durable coating that will not peel.  Hand made in Northern California.  These are becoming the go to weights for professional guides, manufacturer pro-staff and serious anglers.  Follow 4 Fins on facebook.

It truly understand.   We sell our coated 12's  to Charter boat owners/captains who fish in the pacific ocean in Alaska and off the California coast.  Currents are the issue but our weights minimize most blowback.  I talked to a charter boat owner last week, he has been fishing for salmon 240' deep.  He switching from cannon 15# cannon balls to our coated 12's.

Several guides use our 10's & 12's in Lake Tahoe & Shasta Lake, fishing 100'-200' at 3-4mph for lake trout.  These are two very deep lakes.   See 4 Fins on facebook or 916 798-4505. for more info.

• 3 months later...

If you are purchasing new downriggers why would you continue using dipsies and not invest in downrigger weights?  Using downrigger weights such as the 4 Fins design will allow you the ability to know precisely what depth your presentation is with little or no blow back depending on your trolling speed.  This design of DR weights also track extremely well and will not travel under your boat during turns when trolling.  www.4finsdownriggerweights.com

59936116_321024888794072_720497750499655680_n[1].jpg