2 and 3 color lead backer

Ok, just hoping for some insight... I spooled a few 2 and 3 color reels a while back and wanted to hear opinions of backer.  I used 25# Big Game and after running through the counter found that I have 100yds of back behind the 2 and 3 lead.  I've got 20 and 30 power pro ready to load, but was curious what other thought about 100yds of mono backer for Silver Fish.  I've used it for walleye and realize it's overkill.  In fact, for most applications I'd use in Lake Michigan, I'd not have a single problem.  However, I've seen some of these Silvers coming out lately and all are getting fatter with a decrease in stocking (and apparently the decrease in bait???) and thought it might be worth considering to switch to PP to get more backer behind the core.  I'm fine with all my other rigs for deeper applications.  So I put these 2 and 3 color set ups on Diawa 27SHs that can hold 100yds of mono, 2 or 3 colors and 30' of Fluoro currently.  

Thoughts?  

Thanks All!

Shoe

100 yds isn't much, especially considering you can let out 25 to 50 yards of backing out to get the board away from the boat on some days.  I would recommend getting at least 200 yards of backing on the reel somehow.

I have a lot more backer on all my cores and coppers.  Some of the big kings this year are making long runs up to 500 ft for us and I've heard of longer on other boats this year.   Power pro slips a lot on board clips, I used to use it as backer but would splice in 50ft of mono to attached to the boards. Now I try to put 800-900 ft of mono backer.  

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... just didn't want to if I didn't need to (walleye don't care how long it is)... so off goes the mono and on goes my preferred 50#PP.  By the way, if you do a line twist of 4-6 times with braid on the back of the board (clips on the ORs or pin on the Church's) there's no slip.  Same concept for how we spin the line to hook your downrigger lines to the releases (specifically Black's).   I used to run a small section of mono but figured that was another section that could fail.  Now it's 50#PP HiVis Yellow to the Copper/Core then a small 30' section of fluoro.  

Thanks for the info all!

Shoe

I had a single copper rod that was hit 2 times in 1 week this past month that I didn't have enough backing on for various reasons - I had about 150 YDS of 50# PP and both times almost ran the whole thing out on the first run - that was the LAST time that reel would get hit - I added about 250 YDS of PP and now - let the big boys hit is all day...use enough mono to start with IF you don't have a little 'post' on your reel seat - otherwise the braid will slip on the spool - the mono helps keep it in place. After that - add as much braided backing so that the reel fills up properly with the copper or lead core after that.

REEL- yes, that's what I was debating... updating all rigs like you ssuggestion.  Still have 2 and 3 color to do...I set up 2ea 150CU, 225CU, 300CU, a 400CU, and two ea. 5 and 10 colors with 10yds 30#mono, then 200yds-250yds of 50#PP then weighted line (45#bloodrun super CU or 27#Suffix Lead core) followed by 30' of 30#fluoro.  They were a mix and it frustrated me to have inconsistent reel configurations so I switched them all but the 2 and 3 cores.  Per the suggestions, I'll be updating those... hell I have this much into it why stop now!!???

I won a 7 color core on a reel once, a 45 series reel, with 150 yards of backing.

I had a steelhead, not a king mind you but a 13# steelhead take that thing all the way to the knot in the spool.  We had to spin a 180 and run the fish down to keep it from breaking off, making a mess of the spread but we landed the fish and my daughter got her trophy in the youth tournament we were in.

I now have 250 - 350 yards of backing on all my junk lines.