8/12/18, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had perfect fishing conditions today with light winds, sunny skies and very cooperative walleyes.  My clients from Okalahoma, and Colorado had done some walleye fishing before, but today they got to experience true, world class walleye fishing at its finest.  We fished a totally different area than we fished yesterday, but still stuck with the same program of spinner/crawler rigs.  I did sharpen my hooks though, which I do about every other day.  The early morning bite was especially good, but as the morning wore one, the catch per hour rate did drop some and oddly, the fish seemed to be moving around a lot  as previous hot spots were void of fish on the  next pass.   Those hot runs though still predominated with a pretty beefy average size in the box.  If you were looking for smaller walleyes today, then my  boat would have sucked.  We caught several walleyes that were about 24 inches long and a quite a few just shy of that size too and only a couple fish that I would consider perfect eating size.  We also hooked into a couple steelhead, but both won their freedom.  We caught all our fish on meat trolled at 1.4 to 1.5 mph.  Some were taken near bottom, but most were caught suspended at various depths.  The color did not seem to mater, but we did catch all of our fish trolling with the wind.  Even when the wind was light, when I  tried to troll north, we never caught a fish.  Must have been some currents in that area affecting the feeding particulars.    This is  truly shaping up to be one of the best walleye fishing seasons I've ever seen.  I still have some openings at the end of August, so give me a shout if you want to get in on this phenomenal fishing.

20180812_123645.jpg

• Thanks 2